Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I turn off the green light while recording?

I have try different ways of turning off the green light while recording and there seem to be no way I can do that. I had to put tape over it but thats way too obvious. I need help

Mac Air, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 5:53 AM

10 replies

Jun 22, 2011 7:02 AM in response to Andyseas333

There is no way to disable the light via software. This is done to prevent people from attempting to covertly record others activity. There have been a number of news stories on this... most notably a school district that was randomly monitoring students. Without the light, no one would know that was being done. Why do you want to disable the indicator light?

Jun 22, 2011 12:31 PM in response to Andyseas333

Andyseas333 wrote:

Well I am from Jamaica and there are no coverted actions here

Unfortunately Apple doesn't offer the option on check out for:

If you're looking to use your machine to secretively record something, check this box and we'll disable the indicator light.

Outside of covering the light with opaque tape or something, I can't see of any other method that wouldn't involve physically cutting the wiring. As JoeyR stated with the recent newsworthy story of "spying" on kids in their bedrooms I don't foresee Apple allowing an easy way to disable this light when the iSight is in use.

Jun 23, 2011 5:35 AM in response to Andyseas333

"...with the recent newsworthy story of 'spying' on kids in their bedrooms..."

The real story is somewhat more complicated. A student stole an MBP from school, and the school turned on the iSight remotely to see who had possession of the computer. The school got a clear picture of a student typing away. The school sent the police to the student's home, and he was arrested. His parents were upset that someone could have seen their son in a compromising position. Throughout the entire scenario, neither the student nor the parents denied that the computer was stolen. The parents were upset that their son's privacy was invaded.

How Do I turn off the green light while recording?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.