Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an imported MP3 file - is there a simple way to drop the pitch by half a semitone - either for the track or the project?

I'm looking for what I would have thought would be a simple solution to a simple issue: I want to drop the key of my project by half a semi-tone to match the tuning on my guitar. I have searched the forums and google and don't seem to be able to find a solution. I would have thought an expensive and powerful programme like Logic Studio would have this functionality which seems commonly available in much cheaper programmes like Transcribe. Any help is much appreciated.

Kevin

Logic Studio, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 8:06 AM

4 replies

Jun 22, 2011 8:27 AM in response to kevsync

Dropping or rising a complete project's tuning can be a bit flakey (unless you're working with MIDI tracks in your project), but if you got only audio tracks I suggest you do the following:

Open all of the audiofiles in your sample editor. I can't recall the name of the function right now (don't have my Mac here) but in the sample editors' menu there must be something called time/pitch machine (or something like that). I think you'll find there what you need (more or less).

Please beware: editing in the sample editor is a destructive kind of editing, so make sure you have copies of the source material...

Another way (in case you can't find the above mentioned function) is by inserting the pitch plugin (sorry, don't know exactly how it's called) on every track (except for your guitar tracks of course).

Sorry for my lack of knowledge right now (when I don't have my mac around), but I hope my suggestions can get you any further...

Jun 22, 2011 2:54 PM in response to Eriksimon

is your guitar out of tune, or the MP3?

is definitely something that you should establish first - load a clear sounding software instrument to tune your guitar to, or use the Tuner, which works perfectly well, so you can decide which one is out of tune, so if you want to add anything else it should be easy.

The Time and Pitch function works very well for changing the pitch of an audio file - I've had to do this on numerous ocassions just for the reason that you describe - to make things from different sources match up.

Using the pitch function in Global Tracks will work great for MIDI, obviously - using that with audio is a different ballgame - I guess there's a disparity between the way that software developers think about it and the actual user's experience and, of course, it depends on the capability of your computer.

I have an imported MP3 file - is there a simple way to drop the pitch by half a semitone - either for the track or the project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.