Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't re-install Leopard(10.5) from external DVD-drive...

I'm trying to wipe my hard drive and re-install OS 10.5.5 from the start up DVD's apple sent me. The internal drive is broken and will not accept discs so I had to buy an external USB DVD drive. When I insert the disc and start the install process the computer restarts and stops doing anything when it gets to the gray Apple screen(there is a spinning dial just under the apple sign). The computer stays there till I turn the computer off.

Why can't I re-install? I've tried holding the option key on start up but all that comes up is the hard drive icon, when I click on it it goes right to the desktop.

Is this caused by the External drive?

Thanks for any help you can give!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 9:37 AM

3 replies

Jun 23, 2011 10:06 AM in response to stickswoods

Check this link and see if your Mac fits the requirements (most information can be found in Apple Menu>About this Mac)

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP575

If it's the Macbook you have listed in your signature it will run Snow Leo just fine.

Or just check to see if it has these things:

• Mac computer with an Intel processor
  • 1GB of memory
  • 5GB of available disk space
  • DVD drive for installation

Can't re-install Leopard(10.5) from external DVD-drive...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.