Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If you are a professional, FCPX is unusable

First of all, I'm not in the target group for this app. I'm a video professional, I run a post production studio. This is, despite the name, an upgraded iMovie and has little to do with Final Cut. It has tons of more features than iMovie, but that doesn't change the fact that this is an app for the beginner, hobbyist and not the video professional. If it was called iMovie Pro I would not object. But calling this Final Cut, giving this app the name of this brilliant, but aged, peace of software is nothing short of misleading marketing.

We cannot use an app which main screen is dominated by the message "Import iMovie events". We cannot use an app where you use drop down menus to select resolution. This makes me concerned, what will this leave us? I decided to leave Avid behind long ago, and I definitely haven't changed my mind. Premiere? Maybe in the future, but it still feels too clumsy. I guess we have to stick to good, but flawed and old, Final Cut Pro 7. Just the way we use QuickTime Pro 7 and not QuickTime X.

When Vista came I decided that we couldn't use that and we couldn't stick with XP forever. So we made the switch to OS X, despite the fact that 3D and compositing apps were lagging behind on the system. We did it because we felt there was no future in Windows for us, we couldn't stick with an old system. Now, sadly, I feel the exact same about Final Cut, except I have no other system to go to.

If you are a video professional, I strongly advice you not to buy this app, despite the low price. If you are a hobbyist that like iMovie and want more powerful features, you will love this app.

And, Apple, if you find ONE video editor working on a professional level (no, not a wedding photographer or hobbyist music video maker) that does not agree with the above, please let him explain to me why I'm wrong.

Final Cut Pro X-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Mac Pro 8-core, 16GB RAM, 4xSSD

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 10:10 AM

37 replies

Jun 22, 2011 10:17 AM in response to PetterGoodmotion

My business is built around FCP. While I can see how this software is a deal breaker for some (xml export, output to tape etc) my workflow is unaffected. It's missing some features, some of which will be added later, but overall it has improved my workflow. Not everyone has the same needs. Not everyone falls under your definition of professional. If this software does not work for you, use something else. There are plenty of NLE's out there that offer a similar experience. For a bulk of my editing I will be using fcpx.

Jun 22, 2011 10:19 AM in response to PetterGoodmotion

Well said. There are too many people saying things like tape is dead and you don't need features, etc. These people are amateurs and have no idea what a professional editor deals with on a daily basis. I use FCP every day. The speed I've developed on 7 is why I get work all year. FCPX will ruin all of that. The timeline is so slow compared to what's been promised it's sad. I hoped for the best and got the worst. Thanks Apple.

Jun 22, 2011 10:36 AM in response to PetterGoodmotion

I'm so glad that most people feel the same way I do about this. For me it's very concerning since I run my own studio and this will mean a lot of work changing software and workflows, probably to Avid or Premiere. It's nice to get support from others that have the same worries. Encourage everyone you know who is dissapointed with this release to speak their mind, Apple needs to see that this choice will detach them from the professional market.

I remember back in 2005 I visited BBC in London and they bragged happily that they were most of their editing stations to Final Cut. Imagine TV production with Final Cut Pro X. There is something that is not even virtually, but practically impossible.

Jun 22, 2011 10:36 AM in response to PetterGoodmotion

I have been an Editor and Assitant editor working in network television for many many years now. After working with FCP a few times on some independent projects and being fed up with Avid's pomposity and arrogance I started urging shows to start using FCP. And in fact, a few years ago convinced a very prominent production company that it was time to ditch the idea of renting Avids everytime they went into post production on a show and to take the costs of a one season's worth of Avid rentals in order to purchase their own Macs running FCP and an XSan. I worked in concert with Apples Pro Apps point people to show the Producers how a tapeless workflow in FCP would not only save them a large amount of money in equipment, but the additional control over delivery would also save them thounds per episode by doing more of the finish work in-house rather than at a costly post production facility. Imagine my disappointment to discover that my loyalty to, and promotion of, Apple's products is being rewarded by by having Apple make that progression towards FCP pointless in the long run. While for the time being, we can certainly use FCP7 to continue to professionalt cut and finish a show, that will come end rapidly as support dries up for FCP and future OS's leave it behind. There is no way I can tell that same producer at this point that we can do shows in what I now view as iCut Enthusiast. I'd have to tell everyone on the Post team that they need to jump through hoops finding workarounds for the same things that were virtually effortless to do before.

Apple has frequently missed opportunites to corner the profesional film and television market and this move proves why they will never do so. They have no conept or concern for what a truly professional tool set needs to be. They have done what Avid folks have been predicting for years. Dumbing down the product in order to sell more software and promote the use of their hardware by bring things to their iOS world.

Jun 22, 2011 10:39 AM in response to marcfromlewisville

I am looking at my viewer on a 50" plasma right now. I don't understand what you are getting at.

There's actually a vast difference between viewing your computer display output to a HDTV (via Displayport/HDMI) versus going through a third-party card for properly calibrated broadcast video output suitable for color grading and monitoring. FCPx is lacking in the latter from what I understand.

Jun 22, 2011 10:48 AM in response to nlbford

Very well put. I would like to see someone with your experience post a "pro fcpx" comment, but I don't think that will happen. We will just have to be glad that Final Cut, during it's glory days inspired Avid and Adobe to incorporate many of the best features into their products. What I'm really hoping for though, is a new system with the feel of a modern Final Cut. But where this would come from I'm not sure. How about The Foundry? You did it with nuke when Apple ditched Shake! 🙂

If you are a professional, FCPX is unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.