Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone explain how I can change my computer's IPv4 address?

I was told by a person that works with modems and routers that I should reset all of my devices connecting to the modem in order of how much I use them to get a better signal. As of now, the laptop I am using is the 9th device connected to the modem (192.168.0.10), and I'd like to make it closer to first but don't know how to do that. I went into airport and typed in my IP address 192.168.0.2 but that didn't help; I was still connected, but none of my internet capabilites were working.

Motorola SBG900 Wireless SURFboard-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 11:40 AM

2 replies

Jun 22, 2011 12:26 PM in response to Xolcin

Xolcin wrote:

I was told by a person that works with modems and routers that I should reset all of my devices connecting to the modem in order of how much I use them to get a better signal.

I've never heard that. I suppose it's possible for some devices, but I doubt it's true in general.

Depending on router settings, the IP address assigned to each client is controlled by the router. You might be able to configure the router to assign a particular IP address to your Mac.

By the way, this discussion section is intended for discussions of Apple's AirPort Wi-Fi base stations. Since you don't have such a device, in the future you should post this type of question in the section for OS X 10.6.

Jun 22, 2011 12:29 PM in response to Xolcin

Changing the IP address on your Mac to use a static vs. dynamic IP address will NOT provided it a better signal, so I'm not sure you got good advice from the modem/router person.

However, to change the IP Address on your Mac, you would do so through System Preferences > Network panel, and not the AirPort Utility.

• System Preference > Network > AirPort > Advanced > TCP/IP tab
  • Configure IPv4: Manually
  • You would then populate the IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, & Router fields with appropriate information for your situation.
  • Also go to the DNS tab and enter the appropriate IP addresses for your ISP's DNS servers.

Can someone explain how I can change my computer's IPv4 address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.