Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Registering Local Macs Dynamically in DNS

I would like my Mac clients to register their hostnames dynamically into DNS. Our Mac server provides DHCP currently and will provide DNS once I get DDNS working. Apple's manuals all deal with making static entries into DNS so they are of no help.

I have found only one article so far that explained how to enable DDNS: http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1745. Here's a portion of the instructions:

Shut down DNS, launch Terminal.app, issue a command to create a backup copy of the file and then an ASCII text editor (with the editor commands visible on the bottom of the nano display):

sudo cp /etc/dns/publicView.conf.apple /etc/dns/publicView.conf.apple-savesudo nano /etc/dns/publicView.conf.apple

and navigate to the entries for both the forward zone and for the reverse zone

zone "example.net." { type master; file "db.example.net."; allow-transfer {any;}; allow-update {none;}; };

and add/change the allow-update allow-update line found within the zone from none to localnets:

allow-update { localnets; };

I made the change above successfully. However, I opened Server Admin afterwards and used it to modify a different DNS option. Doing this caused Server Admin to overwrite the publicView.conf.apple file, undoing my modifications to "allow-update".

Am I going to be forced to make the change through CLI and not use Server Admin at all for DNS configuration if I don't want my changes being overwritten?

Also, will I need to configure the Mac clients to register their hostname or will I need to configure the DHCP service to do this?

Mac OS X (10.6.7), Snow Leopard Server

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 5:30 AM

DriveThru wrote:

Am I going to be forced to make the change through CLI and not use Server Admin at all for DNS configuration if I don't want my changes being overwritten?

Yes. Unfortunately, with DNS, it's either manage through the GUI or the CLI. You have to pick one and stick with it.

2 replies

Registering Local Macs Dynamically in DNS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.