Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panic at startup and impossible to reinstall SL

Hi

I've recently bought the new iMac with SSD.

I've upgraded the Ram, adding 8go Crucial to the 4go existing.

The first time, I started very well, very quickly.
After that, I installed W7 on my bootcamp partition. It went very fine also.

After having installed W7, I booted on the Mac OS X partition. This was the first time I've got a kernel panic at startup.
Fine, I thought it was a mismanipulation when I installed W7. So, I wanted to reinstall SL.

I tried, 2 or 3 times, but I've always had this message while installing "The installer could not copy the necessary support files".

I managed to boot Mac OS in Safe Mode. I tried to installed SL directly from the Safe Mode, and I got another error : "Impossible to read the installation disk".
So I tried to make a UBS Stick bootable image of the SL installation disk : I cannot mount it "checksum error".

I hardly think now that the problem is coming from the RAM, but instead from the SL disk.

The installation disk is new, it was the first time I was using it.

Now, I am able again to boot from the mac os partition without having chaned anythink, but having booted once in safe mo

Guys, could you help my with that ? How can I get a new disk ? How can I be sure that the RAM is OK (W7 is working fine and SL also right now).

Thanks in advance

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 1:29 AM

6 replies

Jun 23, 2011 4:21 AM in response to atrupo

Ok. I wasn't sure when you stated it was a "new" install disk.

Does that iMac support over 8GB of memory? From the specs, some do and some don't. I couldn't tell which.

Crucial is usually a safe bet on RAM, but you might try without it in to see what happens.

When you boot into Safe Mode, it runs a file system check and will fix any errors it can. If everything is going ok, perhaps it was minor disk corruption.

Can you boot directly to the Install DVD (I didn't see any reference to that in your post)? (hold down c while booting with disk in or hold down option and select disk when it appears).

Jun 23, 2011 4:38 AM in response to Barney-15E

Sorry misunderstanding, my bad. By new I meant never used before.

It is the brand new iMac 27" SSD. So it supports up to 16GB of RAM.

I am also sure of the model of RAM I ordered.

I wanted to remove the new intalled RAM, however, I can't : it's way to hard. When I pull the tab, I just slip.

I can boot to the Install DVD (So, SL 10.6.8). I can go up to the beginning of the installation. It evens begins to copy files, and I always get the error at the same moment.

The same thing happens when I try to install SL from the Safe Mode of my existing OS. It begins to copy file until I get "unable to read the disk, bla bla".

I hope it was only a minor disk corruption, but I would like to be sure. How can I test the RAM and the Installation Disk ?

I tried to make an image of the installation disk, but when I try to mount the compressed image, I get a checksum error...

thanks again for your help

Jun 23, 2011 5:12 PM in response to atrupo

Not really a big misunderstanding. That's what I thought you meant, but there was enough doubt to check. Also, that likely would have solved the problem if you were using a retail disk.

You can check the RAM by booting into the Apple Hardware Test. With the installation disk in the computer, hold down the D key while it restarts. It should go into AHT.

While booted into the installer DVD, you can run Disk Utility and Repair the Disk. There is a button for Utilities on one of the first pages of the installer.

Kernel panic at startup and impossible to reinstall SL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.