Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP X Crashes on Import then wont load

Another rather unhappy user, i asked FCP X to import my imovie stuff, and pretty simple task i would have thought, you'd be wrong very wrong, FCP X crashed 3 times, then it wouldn't load, i had to manually delete the imported imovie stuff before FCP X would load.

The story? There is a serious bug in the importing of imovie files, if its related to PAL movies i dont know but its a real pain, i will have to manually export files and import as fresh, if i can or wait for apple to fix this bug.

Pretty shocked at the overall result from this software, any comments appreciated.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 4:55 AM

7 replies

Jul 10, 2011 6:07 AM in response to jpgrove

Hp jpgrove, BorjaNoise,

Me too on that issue. Tried to import iMovie event library - FCPX crashed repeatedly - never managed to complete import.

Tried to import an iMovie project - FCPX crashed. On reopening, tried to access the events, the project or the timeline, FCPX crashes. Even hovering the mouse over one of the events causes a crash.

FCPX is, in my opinion, totally unusable at the moment. At least I know I'm not alone.

Aug 24, 2011 4:47 PM in response to jpgrove

I purchased FCPX on line a month ago and it will not even recognise iMovie projects so importing them is impossible (the import button stays grey so it cannot be selected). Like you I use PAL. The only way I can get movie into FCPX is to open the iMovie Project package and copy the timeline and import that. When I do that it crashes at import, but on relaunching FCPX the movie is at least there. It is all very frustrating when good money has been paid for a supposedly new and improved program.

Aug 24, 2011 8:04 PM in response to MacITQLD

Open the iMovie package contents and then drag the timeline movie (in cashe folder) into the FCPX event folder. The original timeline stays in iMovie, when you drag the file location and details go across to FCPX and it can then locate the file. Like I said, when I did that FCPX crashed for me, but that is the only way I was able to get it to talk to iMovie, and when I restarted FCPX the movie file was there!! Pretty ordinary when the two programs from the one stable can't converse seamlessly!!

Aug 24, 2011 8:08 PM in response to Brucelat

The other option that I alluded to in my original post was to copy the package contants of my movie into a standard folder in my computer and then using the import option on FCPX, import the timeline copy that was in that folder - that also worked after the obligatory crash - ie after restart the file was where I wanted it - go figure!!

Aug 24, 2011 8:14 PM in response to Brucelat

Great, I'll give it a go.

Yes totally agree on your comment. It seems the real 'pro' users have been kicked off in favour of the prosumers, but they aren't really supported either, because iMovie imports don't!

I have about 5 serious issues with various aspects of Apple software right now and I'm not getting answers. Even my Apple ID password keeps expiring, forcing me to come with yet another new password I haven't used before. Been with Apple since late 1970's - never been so frustrated with software issues as I am right now. I will wait for the fixes but I hope they come soon.

FCP X Crashes on Import then wont load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.