Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mutli-Core and Multi-Thread Clusters?

I have created Quick-Clusters in Compressor, but whenever I try to encode using one, it fails.User uploaded file

Not sure what to do here.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 8:54 AM

15 replies

Jun 23, 2011 5:48 PM in response to SteveBenner

Same here

Different error message

HOST Quicktime Error: 0

When using quickcluster exporting from within fcpX.. it works, but it is slow and I do not see any advantage.

But using quick clusters with video files crated in fcp6 or any other file, i get error messages-

I can use "My Computer" but the processing speed is absolutely not good then.

to be fixed in the next release

Jul 2, 2011 6:00 AM in response to SteveBenner

It works fine for me, though it took me quite a long time to figure out how. Other threads describe what to do. Don't use quick clusters because they don't work. Make the other type of cluster. Select services only used in cluster checkbox. Then you can drag the services up to the box on the right in the cluster admin thing. Set to use however many cores you want in the service settings before creating the cluster. Put a copy of FCPX on each machine you install Compressor 4 on and intend to use for clustering when selecting FCPX > Share > Export using compressor settings.

Sorry to be so brief here but there are detailed instructions in other threads. Do everything above and it works fine. Not fast for small files, but fast (and without tying up your own machine) with large files.

Cheers - c.

Jul 3, 2011 2:20 PM in response to SteveBenner

It's working for me with Compressor 4 on my quad-core Mac Pro. After setting up a QuickCluster with services and with a given name and then I select that same-named cluster in the submit dialog. When I do this with video files that are over a certain length (more than one minute?) it will use all of the cores on my Mac Pro with multiple, active instances of the compressord process. In fact, all of these active processing threads are shown as separate entries in the Share Monitor application (each with a progress bar, the segment of the video that is being compressed, and an ETA).

I think you MAY also need to make certain that you have disabled the cluster controller that is part of Final Cut Studio/Compressor v3 (check your settings in the Apple QMaster panel of the System Preferences, I've set mine to "Services only" and deselected both "Rendering" and "Compressor"). I'm not sure about this (that's why I say "MAY"), but it's worth a try if you are having problems.

Jul 3, 2011 5:41 PM in response to sowattmusic

What exactly do you mean when you say "brand new partition?" Do you mean that you are booting from a completely new and different installation of Mac OS X? If, however, by a new partition you mean that you've just moved the applications to a different disk then that may not work (in fact, I think that the FCPX applications must be stored in your home or boot Application directory).

In any case, be aware that in order to use more than two cores with Apple's H.264 codec you must enable job segmentation (it's a checkbox in the codec/preset inspector panel titled "Allow Job Segmentation"). It appears, however, that some presets do not allow the preference for job segmentation to be changed.

I'm assuming that you've also set up QMaster correctly and make certain that you've specified more than one instance under the "Apple Qmaster > Share This Computer > Setup > Services:Compressor > Options" panel in the Compressor v4 application.

Jul 4, 2011 12:59 PM in response to sowattmusic

I'm running on a quad-core system. As for the number of Qmaster instances, the Compressor User Manual says that you should allow 2GB of DRAM for each instance (a recommendation, not a hard requirement). I'm not sure what you mean by your "24 cores to process the data" (instances?), but that would suggest that your system should have 48GB of DRAM. The Compressor User Manual even warns about setting too many instances since that can actually result in a decrease in total throughput. However, I think the 2GB requirement is overstated, so you can probably exceed that limit if you have less memory but plenty of extra processor cores.

My quad-core system has 6GB of DRAM and I've enabled up to 3 instances and when I run Compressor v4 with that setup I often show 0% CPU idle from within the Activity Monitor (that is, all four cores are running at 100% utilization). However, if I turn off sharing (Qmaster) then I show about 50% idle. The encoding times pretty much follow with the CPU utilization, although there is some notable overhead at the beginning and ending of the job (which appears to run on one thread, so effectively on a single core).

Jul 6, 2011 7:55 AM in response to SteveBenner

There are a few simple things that I would start with. I was able to get Compressor 4 working on all my cores and even able to "oversubscribe" if you will. I was even able to do it with Compressor 3.5 installed still. Not meaning to intentially, but when going to the app store and purchasing Compressor, you dont have much of an option to move it to another drive or partition with ease.

Start by installing and restarting your computer. Not sure if this is neccasary, but it seemed to clear out a few processes that were running.

Second, go to preferences and go into apple qmaster. Stop sharing all services. You wont be using this anymore.

Launch Compressor 4. Go to apple Qmaster within Compressor 4. Click on Share this computer. Click on quickcluster. You can then click the next two options for renduring and compressor and then you can control the number of instances started by clicking on the options tab.

Once you import the video and add setting click submit. Select the name of your quickcluster and share monitor will pop up. The rest is history, just like old days with 3.5.

Hope that helps. Its a simple process it just took a few minutes to figure out. The documentation for setting up a quickcluster really sucked.

Oh, once downloading and starting up Compressor 4 for the first time, you should go get updates, looks like there was a patch for some of the video formats.

Cant promise it will fix everything but I couldnt even find a simple setup doc or thread.

Mutli-Core and Multi-Thread Clusters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.