Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If undo doesn't work, and there's no autosave vault, then how do you fix a accidental timeline deletion?

I deleted some edited clips off the timeline while I was exploring this "storyline" idea. I went for "undo" and it is grayed-out. I can't find any way to go back to a previous version. I'm guessing there's some functionality missing here and it will be fixed in Lion. I think this version of FCPX should be called a Beta. Too much weirdness and missing features right now.

Am I missing something?

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 10:05 AM

8 replies

Jun 23, 2011 12:03 PM in response to hafken

Well, it got worse. Carefully I was trying to figure this out. Really wanted to "hit save" before I closed FCPX and restarted the app, but that's not an option. I was working all morning and it seemed to be fine, except for this "undo" problem. I restarted FCPX and hours of my work was not there. I think autosave was broken and this caused the missing "undo" as well. Now "undo" works again. Glad I'm not on deadline. Not sure how to avoid the same thing happening again.

So, don't trust autosave with this version of FCPX!

Aug 17, 2011 9:55 AM in response to InMotion Imagery

I also experienced the disabled Undo/Redo thing after trying some Transform and keyframed stuff on some clips. I got very frustrated. So after a couple of hours I gave up set FCPX to Transcode all my vids that I was working on, and went to bed. The next morning I quit and restarted FCPX and my Undo and Redo worked fine and so far still does. I redid all the same Transforms, and all was saved.

Now I could be wrong (cross my fingers; this is my hunch); FCPX may only be able to autosave (and thus Undo & Redo) footage on which you perform alterations or special effects once said footage is fully Transcoded. Perhaps someone at Apple can confirm this.

Good luck everyone...

Aug 17, 2011 10:52 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

You're right. I experienced that too. But as long as I was just trimming and assembling shots in Project, all was fine. When I started doing some key-framing and transform effects, that's when the Undo/Redo (which I'm sure is linked up with autosave) bloody-well went down to Florida for a frickin' summer vacation. :-))

So I'm guessing that for more complex processing of clips FCP may require the transcoded version. It could also be that FCP was transcoding that clip at the time I was trying to work on... I dunno... But like I said, these only my guesses.

I'm now going to try and finish that 6-minute movie I've been struggling with for several days because of this bug/malfunction (?)... So far all is good. I'll keep ya all posted.

:-))

Aug 17, 2011 11:12 AM in response to InMotion Imagery

I solve this issue by deleting all preferences regarding to final cut X in

~/library/Application Support/final cut pro

~/library/Preferences/com.apple.FinalCut*

You can access these folder by following these steps

-open a new finder window

-select Go to Folder (Command + Shift + G) from the Go to menu, type in this window "~/library/"

How I discovered the solve of this issue...

I did a clean installation of lion and install all software and all nice! but... when I restore my user from time machine the problem appear again.... Them I assume that is a problem coming from upgrade to lion from snow leopard with final cut pro x installed...

Sorry for my english

Regards!

If undo doesn't work, and there's no autosave vault, then how do you fix a accidental timeline deletion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.