Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSH session from OS X to *NIX ESXi Guest VM hangs

This is driving me nuts:

From my Mac Pro, Snow Leapord, in Terminal and iTerm2 beta3, my SSH sessions to ESXi *NIX guests (RHEL 5.5, Debian 6, Ubuntu 11.04, Solaris 10 x86) are hanging for no apparent reason.

I do not have this problem from my Macbook Pro or an Ubuntu 11.04 VFusion guest on my Mac Pro. I've run both the ssh client from Mac in -vvv verbose mode and -ddd debug on the VM's and saw nothing out of the ordinary. And there are three additional kickers;

1. this doesn't always happen

2. I have no issues SSH'ing to physical (non-VM) hosts on the same target/server VLAN

3. colleague sitting right next to me on identical Mac hardware/OS has no problems

I even formatted the harddrive and install Snow Leapord from scratch. I have not changed out my network cable because there are no problems with non-VM hosts or from the Ubuntu VM on my Mac Pro.

Google has returned nothing useful, nor has a search here. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas? I'm about to install Ubuntu in Bootcamp and call it a day, so I'm really open to anything.

Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 11:05 AM

1 reply

Jun 23, 2011 11:59 AM in response to core10

Have you tried looking at the Ubuntu's /var/log/secure.log files to see if there are interesting sshd entries?

Have you tried changing the Ubuntu's /etc/ssh/sshd_config LogLevel to DEBUG3

LogLevel DEBUG3

Then restart the sshd daemon on Ubuntu

sudo /etc/init.d/sshd restart

Then when you have your next ssh issue, go back to the /var/log/secure.log files and see if there is useful sshd DEBUG3 info that relates to your problem.

SSH session from OS X to *NIX ESXi Guest VM hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.