Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning off iMac Desktop at Night

I've had mixed vibes on this subject, so I'm asking the experts. Is it better to leave my desktop iMac on all the time, or turn it off at night? At present, I'm turning it off at night, and having it restart automatically in the morning. Some non-experts have told me that going to sleep is fine, and you shouldn't have to turn the computer off.

iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 12:31 PM

Letting it sleep at night is best. It only takes a little more power than cutting it off. You can just tap the power button to put it to sleep.

Regards,

Captfred

4 replies

Jun 23, 2011 12:49 PM in response to Nancy Blazis

My take on Apple's "recommendation" to let it sleep is that it's just convenient (you won't have to suffer the inconvenience of a reboot or a reboot and log in and then re-open your programs.) I don't think it's better in any way for the computer.

I think you can do either. If you do let it sleep, an occasional restart may clear up any small quirks that may be developing. I've been shutting down at night for years, with no untoward effects.

I've heard of Senior AppleCare techs recommending shutting down.

Jun 23, 2011 12:48 PM in response to Nancy Blazis

Where I work - an Apple shop - the iMacs are NEVER turned off. I notice they do get a bit warm...but continue to work, day after day after day...

They are restarted every once in a while... the energy saver has the sleep option set to NEVER.

So... it's up to you!

(BTW, at home, I turn off my computers all the time... before going to bed, going to work, etc. I've never once had a problem with either of the two systems.)

A Funny... on old PC's, the first thing that wore out was the On/Off button!

Turning off iMac Desktop at Night

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.