Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Reboot After Latest Apple Updates (SA-2011-06-23-1 and Security Update 2011-004)

Hi All,

After applying today's updates (06/23/2011) in APPLE-SA-2011-06-23-1 Mac OS X v10.6.8 and Security Update 2011-004, my MacBook will no longer boot. Prior to updating, the MacBook workked perfectly (except for the occasional error entry in the system and kernel log). The MackBook model number is A1278, with a RAM upgrade (4 GB).

When booting in NORMAL mode, the grey screen with Apple logo (and spinning wheel) is shown for about 50 seconds. The device never shows the blue background or login window. It simply shuts down like the power was pulled.

When booting in SAFE mode, the grey screen with Apple logo (and spinning wheel) is shown for about 1 minute 30 seconds. The blue background is shown and quickly transitions to the login windows. About 45 seconds after the login window is shown, the machine shuts down like the power was pulled.

On the few occassions I logged in to take advantage of the 45 second safe mode window (before shutdown), I was *not* able to copy off my log files (in /log/var) to a thumb drive because the computer would not mount the USB device.

When I peeked at the system's log file, I caught the tail end of "signature validation failed" for a bunch of hardware - from video to audio. I can only peek because the computer will shutdown before I have an opportunity to study anything in detail. The failed verifications may or may not be related to the shutdown - signature verfication might be disabled in safe mode; I simply don't know.

It seems the world's most advanced operating system [tm] is performing the world's most epic failure. Any ideas to get this brick working again would be greatly appreciated.

Jeffrey Walton

Baltimore, MD, US

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7), MacBook Model A1278

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 5:07 PM

First try restarting your system with the original DVD that came with your MacBook. Then run Apple Hardware Test, if all of your hardware checks out okay your need to run disk utility on your hard drive to repair it, also repair your permissions.

18 replies

Jun 23, 2011 5:20 PM in response to noloader

I had the same issue. And is Partly fixed now.

I had to reboot using my Mac OSX DVD After 10 minutes or so waiting for the system to boot from the DVD. I was able to run the Disk Utility. I repaired the disk and disk permissions. I also run the Apple Hardware Test and everything was OK

After running both repairs I was able to login again to my computer. But it still take longer to boot than normally does.

I've a 2011 27" Core i7 iMac with 16 GB RAM.

I also run the Apple Hardware Test and everything was OK.

Please anyone installing the 10.6.8 OS X update report if is having any issues.

Thanks.-

Jun 23, 2011 5:23 PM in response to Eric Ross

Thanks Eric,

Eric Ross wrote:

First try restarting your system with the original DVD that came with your MacBook.

Unfortunately, the box and DVD are in storage (about 700 miles out of reach). I do have a backup of the DVD on my hard drive in DMG format, though. But I'm guessing it won'te help.

Does Apple offer a download of the repair utility in ISO format? I've got three spare Wintel/Lintel machines ready to assist.

Jeff

Jun 23, 2011 5:28 PM in response to Npalamidis

Hi Npalamidis,

Npalamidis wrote:

I had the same issue. And is Partly fixed now.

Please anyone installing the 10.6.8 OS X update report if is having any issues.

You might be able to zero in oin thew problem via System Profiler -> Logs. In the past, I found a 'slow login' to be caused by loginwindow.app trying to contact a directory server for authentication. My fix was to open User Accounts, and toggle the "Use Directory Services" for login (if I recall correctly - I can't verify it now).

Jeff

Jun 23, 2011 7:16 PM in response to noloader

Here's what I've found:

(1) I cannot run Disk Utility because I don't have my install disk handy

(2) I cannot run Repair Permissions because Apple does not make a separate ISO available to fix their mistakes

(3) There does not appear to be a wat to back out updates (ie, no Add/Remove Programs)

I was able to boot into safe mode and perform:

> sudo bash

$ chmod -R root /

Amazingly, the command ran to completion. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem. As soon as some spare cycles were available (interesting indeed!), the machine shutdown.

+1 to Apple engineers for creating a broken patch

+1 to Apple quality assurance for letting the junk out the door

+1 to Apple, for not offering an ISO to fix a broken installation

+1 to Steve, who has managed to keep his anti-trust lock on the hardware and broken software

Great job, Apple

Jun 24, 2011 12:07 AM in response to noloader

Mate, you are not alone. I have got exactly the same error. My MacBook Pro was perfectly fine before installing the patch. Now it cannot be booted properly. I called Apple Hotline in Hong Kong and the support engineers only asked me to reinstall SL from DVD. The so-called Senior Support Advisor (King Yeung) even refused to escalate my complaint to his manager or the complaint department. This is the second times that I have experienced similar problem and last time I did an archive installation that spent a lot of my time and I will not do it again this time. I will trash that HK$30'000 dollar machine. If anyone is interested to buy, drop me a note.

Jun 24, 2011 3:45 AM in response to noloader

I have 2 iMacs....A mid-2010 Model, and a new 2011 Model. I am friendly with an Apple Consultant, and he told me to run "Applejack" before and after every update. Well, I did this time, and I have no problems booting up with either machine.

If you can get Applejack installed on your machine, when you start up, hold down the 'Command' and the 'S' key until you get a Linux type response. After it stops, type in 'applejack' and hit 'a' for auto. It will take you through 5 steps. After it is finished, hit 'h' and it will shut down. Then try and see if it will boot up. The first time, it may take a while. After that, it should boot up quicker. I hope that helps.

Jun 25, 2011 8:57 AM in response to noloader

I stopped by the Apple Store with the laptop. Here's whant happened:

(1) Genius [re]installed "Mac OS X Combined Update 10.6.7" - still would not boot

(2) Genius [re]installed "Mac OS X Combined Update 10.6.8" - still would not boot

(3) Genius [re]installed "Mac OS X 10.6.3" - OK

With the machine back to 10.6.3, I was able to install the 10.6.8 update, and then the subsequent Java update that followed.

After updating, I booted into SAFE mode and checked the system log again. The "validation failure" was present again on hardware (such as AudioPCDriver), so it does not appear the previous problems were PKI related.

Jeff

Jun 25, 2011 12:57 PM in response to noloader

Thanks for posting about the latest "update" issue. I think I narrowly avoided this; I selected the Security Update 2011-004 in Software Update, got the spinning disc symbol and waited about 30 min. but nothing had happened.

Basically, it locked up my machine before the update even began. No other programs would run and it wouldn't shut down. I had to shut it down by holding the power button.

After reading these posts, I'm definitely NOT going to update anytime soon. I depend on my Macbook Pro for work and would really be screwed if it was bricked.
 By the way, I'm running 10.5.8, 2.33 Intel Core Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I bought it in 2004, take it everywhere, and use it for graphic and web design - still works great!

Jun 29, 2011 3:10 PM in response to noloader

Well After reinstalling the whole OS X and updating again to 10.6.8 and Restoring from my 360GB time machine backup.!

I finally understand what is my problem and why my computer takes so long to boot!

it's my 4TB DROBO UNIT! If it's conected to me iMac when it reboots then reboots take like 10 to 20 minutes.

If I unplug it while rebooting my computer restart reduces dramatically to 1 o 2 minutes.!

Thanks apple!😠

Jun 30, 2011 9:28 AM in response to noloader

Same issue. The update never finished installing on my MacBook Pro, and (after several hours) I gave up waiting and tried to reboot. Now just sits at the Apple logo screen. Managed to run Hardware Check from the Snow Leopard CD - no problems found. But I can't seem to boot now from that CD or the install CDs that came with my iMac (10.5.2).

I'd reinstall OS X - if I could.

Any thoughts?

Jul 1, 2011 9:41 AM in response to noloader

Same wake up problems (to external display through DVI) after security update 2011-004 done only 2 days ago on MacBook 13" Late 2008 without thunderbolt (I made the thunderbolt update on another MacBookPro March 2011 Thunderbolt because of a refreshment problem on the external display and than thought I should make some update also on the first one...). Any update planned by Apple ?

Unable to Reboot After Latest Apple Updates (SA-2011-06-23-1 and Security Update 2011-004)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.