Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone else have streaks on their MacBook Pro display after 10.6.8 update?

It's as if the LED backlighting is not turned on for columns of the screen. The top is lit normally, but at the bottom of the screen, extending up from the dock, there are dark and light sections.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 4:06 PM

13 replies

Jun 23, 2011 5:03 PM in response to GAPman

Yes, I do! I noticed immediately after the update. I've seen it infrequently before, and it was always resolved by a restart. If I restart without the power cord plugged in, it seems fine. If I restart with power connected, I see the dark streaks. Just as you say, it's like alternating columns of the backlight turned off. Interestingly, the display is fine when the system is immediately started, during the gray boot screen. Just before the login screen the streaks appear.

Here's my system details:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.27f3

Anyone else who has the issue, please confirm your system details too (as well as any possible resolution).

Update: I reset my PRAM and the problem seems to be resolved (for now). 🙂

See this support article if you're not sure how to reset your PRAM:

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Jun 23, 2011 5:40 PM in response to GAPman

Just updated mine...no problems here.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B0E

SMC Version (system): 1.68f96

Jun 23, 2011 6:20 PM in response to GAPman

Yes I have the same problem.

After updating the software my screen had the uplighting effect at the bottom of the screen.

This makes me believe its a software issue and not a hardware problem.

I have never had this issue before.

I bought this mac about 3 years ago. I did replaced the screen last month it was under warranty.

Warranty is now over. Crap

I did perform the shift-control-eject and it fixed the problem.

I rebooted my machine and did the PRAM command and it still appeared.

I rebooted again and it went away.

This is not good.

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.27f3

Jun 23, 2011 7:06 PM in response to GAPman

It was a problem that many 4,1 MBPs had since the beginning.

http://www.mobilemag.com/2008/04/01/penryn-macbook-pro-has-led-backlight-problem s/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1423301?threadID=1423301&tstart=0

Mine didn't show itself until a year later. It happens intermittently, but often it happens when I update OSX. Somtimes after rebooting to Boot Camp. Usually zapping the PRAM will fix for me. (Temporarily, obviously.) But I've lived with this for the past two years, even having two repairs and still it'll happen. (Fortunately I had Applecare, for the repairs, but that just ran out.)

(edit: Apple had known about and "fixed" this back in 10.5.3, which I remember applying for this specific reason:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1258

But it seems like each new OSX update "breaks" it again. 😟 )

Jun 30, 2011 2:50 PM in response to GAPman

Having the same problem with alternating light bars on restarts. Started after 10.6.8 Combo Update. Have reset the SMC and PRAM as discussed above. Sometimes restarts OK and sometimes not. If it occurs, closing the lid to put the laptop to sleep and then opening the lid again, makes screen OK upon waking. Must be a software issue as intro grey Apple screen is always at full illumination but streaks appear after Desktop becomes visible.

Apple needs to be made aware of this issue. Rarely had this problem before 10.6.8. Restart always solved this before.

MacBookPro4,1

Does anyone else have streaks on their MacBook Pro display after 10.6.8 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.