Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought Final Cut Studio right before this new version...

I just bought Final Cut Studio right before this new version came out. Am I eligible for a free upgrade to the new software?

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 5:05 PM

10 replies

Jun 24, 2011 1:29 AM in response to jonkati

I'm sorry, but these replies have been ludicrous. To actually answer your question, I would think they would honour their usual 14-day return policy, but you would need to speak with Apple directly.

As to the whole "which is better" debacle, there is no doubt that Final Cut Pro 7 is the more polished and fleshed out piece of editing software, and what everyone is most familiar with to boot. But let's be honest, what do you expect for software that is ten years old versus three days. The fact of the matter is that pretty much everyone editing with Apple's software in the not so distant future is going to be editing on Final Cut Pro X, hands down. It's fundamentally that much better. You nay-sayers out there, if you don't switch to Adobe or Avid, you will go to FCP X! There is a reason for that, and there will be an even stronger reason for that with every update. People don't seem to understand that.

In your situation, if you don't own either, it makes a whole lot more sense to me for you to just roll with the hiccups FCP X brings if you can at all handle it. If not, you are going to spend $999 now on FCS 3 and another $400 in the near future when you decide to take the leap. Is there something worth $1000 to you in FCS 3 that FCP X doesn't offer? If so, then great, go ahead. It's an amazing piece of software. If not, enjoy the head start on what editing is going to look like for the next ten years.

All the best talking with Apple. The way that they are pushing FCP X I would hope you don't run into any trouble.

Justin

Jun 24, 2011 3:19 PM in response to jonkati

What were you using before going to Final Cut Pro 7 and what will you be using it for? Most of the negative comments are related to use of Final Cut for professional work and in multi-person workflows (i.e., sharing of projects). In many ways FCPX is a souped up version of iMovie. My personal opinion is that once the shock is over, many (not all) people will like the editing features and the workflow or at least will get used to it. Many professionals, though, will still require features that have been dropped that were in FCP 7. FCPX will be useless to them until those features are added (if they ever are). On the other hand, FCP 7 has been discontinued and that's a bad sign for future compatibility.

FCPX has its share of bugs, being a new product that took on an old product's name. If you get it, be prepared for the initial teething pains.

So, assuming you can get a refund if you want one, the real question is do you want one? It might be a tough choice.

Jun 30, 2011 11:25 AM in response to jonkati

Yeah, depends on your use. The simple fact that you are asking this question, means that you are likely not a professional who needs all of the things the new version left out. That being the case, FCPX is probably great for you.

And Solar media is right . . . sell it. There are plenty wanting to buy it. You can make a profit and get the new version.

I just bought Final Cut Studio right before this new version...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.