Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email to deleted users not bouncing back

When users are deleted from workgroup manager, emails to their email account still go through instead of bouncing back.

The same occurs when simply setting the mail setting to "None" instead of "Enabled".

I have also deleted the same accounts from Server Admin -> Mail -> Accounts, but problem persists.

I have restarted the server - issue persists.

Where else could their user record still be stored?

I think it's postfix's job to reject these emails..?

When I send an email to a jibberish account that has never existed in the past, it is successfully rejected with /var/log/mail.log showing:

<asdfjasdf@mycompany.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table;

When I email an ex-employee whose account was deleted, email goes through with /var/log/mail.log showing:

Jun 24 08:26:42 ods1 postfix/smtp[28886]: B37F5658CDD: to=<exuser@mycompany.com>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024, delay=0.19, delays=0/0/0/0.18, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok, id=29894-02, from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as DE236658CE4)

Jun 24 08:26:42 ods1 postfix/qmgr[167]: B37F5658CDD: removed

Jun 24 08:26:42 ods1 postfix/pipe[29592]: DE236658CE4: to=<exuser@mycompany.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.05, delays=0/0/0/0.05, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot service)

Jun 24 08:26:42 ods1 postfix/qmgr[167]: DE236658CE4: removed

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 5:34 PM

3 replies

Sep 14, 2011 7:46 PM in response to dmare

For all those that face a similar issue: it was resolved after demoting Open Directory server to standalone, promoting it back to master, reimporting all users and reentering all passwords - a major pain in the butt, but nothing else would fix it.

About a month later, I thought I had the same issue, but luckily this time it came good after a few hours. I think a postfix reload may have contributed towards getting it successfully rejecting this time:

sudo postfix reload

I'm trying to understand how the Apple Open Directory <> Postfix setup works so that I have a thorough understanding when next faced with this issue.

I believe the relevant line in /etc/postfix/main.cf / postconf -n is:

local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps

(http://www.postfix.org/LOCAL_RECIPIENT_README.html)

I'm not sure what the proxy:unix:password.byname part means, but $alias_maps is defined below:

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/var/mailman/data/aliases

/etc/aliases has all the postmaster, abuse, etc. entries - none of the actual users' accounts.

/var/mailman/data/aliases has all the entries for the mailing lists - none of the actual users' accounts.

This leaves me with either:

local_recipient_maps not being the correct setting

or

The part I don't understand: proxy:unix:passwd.byname being the list of actual mail users

Does anyone know the answer?

Email to deleted users not bouncing back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.