Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" Power supply problems?

I'm on my second power supply on my iMac 27" about 6 months old. Wouldn't wake up from sleep (twice now). Luckily, it's still under warranty, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem or if I got a "lemon" iMac? It's a bummer being without a machine for a week every few months. Will Apple replace it or do I have to go through this every few months?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 5:53 PM

6 replies

Jun 23, 2011 6:08 PM in response to martinfromkailua kona

If you haven't already I would STRONGLY recommend buying Apple Care. On a computer that is covered by AppleCare if the same thing happens 3x Apple will replace the computer. If you aren't familiar with AppleCare it:

1. Extends the one year warranty to 3 total years from original date of purchase.

2. Offers AppleCare telephone support. This can be very useful if you are new to OS X or Macs.

You can buy AppleCare directly from Apple or you can frequently find it discounted from authorized Apple Resellers such as Amazon or LA Computer Company.

Also I don't know how good the power is to your area of the islands. If the machine is plugged into the wall or inexpensive power strip power fluctuations could be damaging the computer. I would recommend getting a UPS which will provide emergency power in the event of a full power loss, enough to do an orderly shutdown. It will also provide consistent power and finally almost all come with insurance in the event your machine is damaged by a power related problem while connected. In other words it offers another layer of peace of mind. Personally I have had good luck with APC products, you can find those at your local Costco, Office Supply store or computer store.

iMac 27" Power supply problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.