Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with 10.6.8

Hello,

Here is the list I have so far with this latest update.

> Preview Crashes when looking at an Excel Files. if Preview is used on an Excel file within Outlook then Outlook crashes.

> App Store crashes

> iTunes Store crashes

That's it so far....

Mac OS X (10.6), 10.6.8

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 9:30 PM

Try repairing permissions and restarting. You could also try a safe boot to see if that fixes the issues. If not download the combo update and install it.

Hope one of these help.

Ben

109 replies

Jun 23, 2011 9:47 PM in response to hkbrandt

Thanks for sharing - Preview was one of the items that saw new bits with this OS update.... So far, I haven't any issues. Preview as an example is fine. Same w/the stores.

As suggested, you may have better luck grabbing the combo updater (if you haven't already) and rerunning the 10.6.8 install. As always, a tested and reliable update is a must 🙂

Good luck in any case.

Jun 24, 2011 6:09 AM in response to hkbrandt

I installed the update last night and upon doing the required re-start the entire OS crashed, grey screen and all. Gone through all the apple support options and now am down to the last option, re-install from disc. I had my iPhone plugged in when the machine re-started, which did cause a crash once before until I unplugged it and re-started, but this time it just won't play ball. Do all updates have problems or is this just a particularly bad one? What/ where is the Combo?

Have Time Capsul, but would rather not have to re-install everything.

Thanks, Mike

Jun 24, 2011 6:55 AM in response to mikegeordie

Hi,

I have this same problem, and no combination of combo updates or repair permissions has fixed it.

I have a 2 x 2.66 GHz dual-core Xeon Mac Pro with an NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT GPU.

After the 10.6.8 update through Software Update yesterday things were working fine all evening. This morning, the computer booted and after a little while stopped responding. The cursor was a beachball (though it did move) and the system didn't respond to keyboard input at all (including Cmd-Option-Esc). I waited for a while and then did a hard reboot. It went through the full boot process, but instead of bringing up the desktop, it just brought up a gray screen with a cursor that alternates between beign responsive and being a beachball. The computer boots fine into Safe Mode, and I was able to repair permissions. I downloaded and installed the 10.6.8 Combo Update, repaired permissions again, and reset the PRAM and NVRAM for good measure, but I'm still in the same situtation:

The computer boots into a gray screen and a cursor, or I can get it to boot properly in Safe Mode.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jun 24, 2011 2:56 PM in response to morgannels

Have been having similar problems and managed to track it down to a conflict with Parallels 6. I removed the Applications folder from the dock, plus and extra folder I'd created which pointed to a Windows 7 folder, and finally all was well again.

If you have Parallels 6, it might be worth having a go?

Found this which seems to confirm my experiences!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20074173-263/dock-using-100-cpu-after-os-x- 10.6.8-update-for-parallels-6-users/

Hope it helps in some way!?

Jun 24, 2011 4:03 PM in response to imakers

i updated to 10.6.8 today, and had the strangest thing happen with my Laptop. when i closed the screen to put the computer to sleep (no open programs or applications when i did this) the computer did not sleep.the light on the apple went off, so i asumed that it had, as usual, but when i got the computer back out - the battery had gone dead- and completely dead - my network preferences had reset - my time and date reset.

anyone know why this may be, and possible solutions?

Jun 24, 2011 6:25 PM in response to morgannels

I just got back from the Genius Bar, sans Mac Pro. Their guess is that my video card died. They'll try a replacement card and see if that fixes the problem (which was the oddest they'd seen today--w00t!). Whether this was related to yesterday's update or just a coincidence is an open question. Has anyone else had trouble with an NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT card since the update?

Jun 25, 2011 6:08 AM in response to imakers

You Utter Genius!!!

That got it : D

I've spent the last 48 hours trying everything and just grey screen after grey screen and was getting ready to do a full system re-install. Read your post, deleted all my Parallels 6 applications and folders (I barely used it anyway having gotten it in a software bundle), restarted, and I have my baby back! Thank you so much for posting your solution, saved me hours of work. Good Karma for you mate!

Mike

Problems with 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.