Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use iPad 2 WiFi + 3G on T-Mobile in the United States?

Since the iPad comes "unlocked" can I use the data plan I have with my cellular carrier, T-Mobile?

iPad 2

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 9:33 PM

6 replies

Jun 23, 2011 9:59 PM in response to frank.simon3

You can use it on T-Mobile (it isn't locked) but first:

You do not enter into a contract with AT&T for your data plan on the iPad, with their SIM yo usethe app on the iPad, put in your credit card and it auto renews each month unless you use the app and suspend it. It is not a part of your cell plan.

Back to T-Mobile, if the have a plan that will work with then iPad you can get a SIM from them and cut it down to work. Because T-Mobile uses a different frequency than AT&T (or any other GSM system in the world) you will only get EDGE speeds. You would be better off seeing if T-Mobile has a MiFi you can add to your account.

Sep 27, 2013 8:27 AM in response to frank.simon3

iOS 7 now supports using your iPhone as a hot spot so you no longer need to mess with unlocking for SIM cards, adding a new carrier or suffering addtional charges on your existing T-Mobile plan. And this work son wi-fi and cellular iPads. This willl give you 4G-LTE speeds on the iPad (assuming your iPhone supports that speed).

can I use iPad 2 WiFi + 3G on T-Mobile in the United States?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.