Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP X Interview with Michael Wohl

I think this may be of interest to a lot of FCP7 Pro & new FCP X users:

I had the privilege to Interview Michael Wohl (one of FCP's original creators) on the new FCP X and what to expect in its future. It's definitely worth a read - and was an enlightening interview) -http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/interview/exclusive-interview-michael-wohl-one-of-fcps-original-designers-speaks-about-final-cut-pro-x

Hope you find it useful.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 5:41 AM

9 replies

Jun 24, 2011 5:48 AM in response to rounik music

"It’s a little hard to say whether this software (FCP X) is going to be up to the task of a documentary that’s going to have thousands of hours of footage and multiple people working on it simultaneously."

Or in other words it is not ready TODAY.

"Well, it’s important to say that Final Cut Pro X is not a new version of Final Cut. To call it that is to misunderstand everything about it. It is a brand new piece of software. So much so that in my humble opinion, I think Apple would’ve had a better time of this if they just named it something completely new."

100% agree

"The fact that they abandoned the term ‘In’ and ‘Out’ point. I think it just fundamentally needs to be fixed."

1000% agree!

Jun 24, 2011 5:58 AM in response to rounik music

He said, "Inevitably there’s going to be a lot of disappointment along with a lot of excitement."

No, there is just disappointment in the professional world.

I don't care if FCPx is a million years ahead of where things are today. My main gripe is that a professional can't use it today. And if we can't use it today it's a complete pile of sh&%.

Jun 24, 2011 6:42 AM in response to JohnSpirou

No, John, it's not so simple.

As Michael Wohl said in the last sentence of the quote below, he expects that it will be a "few years" before FCPX is ready for pro use. There is no way editors will be able to continue to use FCP 7 over that period of time. For one thing, I would not put it past Apple to even add features to future OS releases that make it impossible to use FCP 7 in an effort to force migration to FCPX. Even without that, it is unlikely that this now unsupported FCP 7 will be usablr for that long. I, for one, am trying to get ahead of the curve, and have already purchased the Avid cross-grade. If FCP X is up to snuff in 3-4 years, I might give it a try then, but there would have to some reason to do so beyond my loyalty to Apple, which has been used up by this fiasco.

Here is the Michael Wohl quote:

"It’s a little hard to say whether this software is going to be up to the task of a documentary that’s going to have thousands of hours of footage and multiple people working on it simultaneously. However, over the next few years I fully expect Apple to upgrade it and improve it and I imagine that eventually it certainly will be."

FCP X Interview with Michael Wohl

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.