Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Library missing from Drive

So, I have about a 240GB Aperture Library. I went to open Aperture today to set up a new vault, but Aperture said it could not find my library. I went to locate it on the appropriate drive, but alas, the entire library was missing. The drive is showing that 240 GB are still being used, but nothing is showing up.

Anyone have any idea how I may be able to find/recover my library from this drive?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 5:12 AM

10 replies

Jun 24, 2011 5:45 AM in response to Badunit

Yes, I checked in the trash. Nothing there.

I tried both Disk Utility and Drive Genius 3. Disk Utility told me I had errors in the drove, but when I went to repair it, it gave me a message that the repair could not be completed because the drive could not be unmounted.

Based off of the amount of disk space that is used, it APPEARS as if the data is still there, but for some reason, it just doesn't show up.

I don't intend to use the drive for anything. I just want to get my photos off of it and get rid of it 😉

Jun 24, 2011 6:10 AM in response to Joshua Hawkins

I guess the drive in question is not the system drive, correct?

If its a non-system drive and can't be unmounted it because some program has files opened on it. Try closing all programs and restarting the Finder to see if that will allow it to be unmounted. If it still won't unmount you'll have to reboot your system. When the system comes back up you should be ale to run the dusk repair on it.

regards

Jun 24, 2011 9:17 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I tried shutting down, spinning the drive down, rebooting and spinning up the drive, with absolutely no change in the disk. 240GB are still missing from my disk, but the library still isn't present. I still cannot repair the drive because it still cannot be unmounted.

In addition, I have disconnected the drive, and allowed it to cool for several hours with no change.

Jun 24, 2011 10:47 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I'm aware that my drive is shot (or at least, close to it). The thing is, the drive is acting like my Aperture Library is still on it (as in, my 1 TB drive only has about 760GB available. My aperture drive was approximately 235 GB), but when you open the drive, it says that there is nothing on it. My question is this: Anyone have any idea how I may be able to find/recover my library from this drive?

In other words, is there any way for me to recover my photos?

Aperture Library missing from Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.