Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2011 6:18 AM by a brody
vea1083 Level 3 Level 3



I have been following the Apple Support Forums after the 10.6.8 update and I have seen an unusually high number of users reporting hanging blue screens in their MacBook Pros. I was wondeingif it would be wise to hold the 10.6.8 upadate for at least 3 days and see what happens? I did repair permissions yesterday to prepare for the update and back up my files.

2.53GHz Core i5 MacBook Pro 15" (Mid-2010), Mac OS X (10.6.7), 500GB HD @7200, 4GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel HD + Nvidia 330m 256
  • K T Level 7 Level 7

    As always, a tested and reliable backup is recommended. Other than that, the choice is yours


    Just remember that those 'unusually high numbers' represent the small crowd that comes here to comment...don't take it as any kind of majority...take it for what it's worth...someone else's experience. YMMV.

  • WZZZ Level 6 Level 6
    Mac OS X

    I always wait at least a week.

  • vea1083 Level 3 Level 3

    @KT: My concern besides the hanging blue screen is some users reporting that their printers have stopped working after 10.6.8.


    @WZZZ: Waiting a week seems to be a good idea, although I think I'll bite the bullet on Sunday and install the update.


    Thanks for your feedback.

  • macjack Level 9 Level 9

    If you have a clone of your system (which you should), install it on the clone and give it a good workout. If it passes the test, install it on your primary disk.

  • cricketernot Level 1 Level 1

    Excellent advice from mackjack:


    "If you have a clone of your system (which you should), install it on the clone and give it a good workout. If it passes the test, install it on your primary disk."


    Sorry, don't quite understand how to quote you.


    Oh I'm very careful, have 3 sets of backups, Time Machine and bootable clones plus a spare Test partition.

    I have to be very careful with the printer compatibilty problem, impossible to check whether OK or not because my Samsung ML-1610 printer is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MAC AT ALL (officially) but works fine using a trick picked up on some forum.


    More good advice in these discussions: don't rush into it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

  • tonality Level 1 Level 1

    I got Kernel Panic, all my audio plugins vanished and Finder can't find anything.


    I'd definitely wait!

  • a brody Level 9 Level 9
    Classic Mac OS

    Read what I wrote here:



    Installing an upgrade is not for the faint at heart and should only be done by those who are prepared.

  • macjack Level 9 Level 9

    a brody wrote:


    Installing an upgrade is not for the faint at heart

    Well, I just summon up all my courage, dig down deep for that intestinal fortitude, brace myself and wear a crash helmet...


    But really, millions of Mac users have their Macs set to update automatically (by the way this is an update).

    They know nothing of the working of their Macs, they launch apps and use them. That is the sum total of their Mac savvy.


    I'm not disagreeing with your advice, just saying problems are rare.


    IMO the beauty of OS X is that it's built for luddites yet is the choice of experts.

  • a brody Level 9 Level 9
    Classic Mac OS

    I agree problems are rare, but not so rare we don't hear about them like the end of the world has happened to someone each time someone upgrades.   My contention is that if it really was for luddites, we would never see complaints like this on any upgrade.   The day an upgrade comes along and has no complaints then I will agree and say it is for luddites.  Sometimes experts can be baffled for awhile too, and there will always be someone who gives up and doesn't report back.  Some experts will say erase is the best solution, but that is like saying "Whatever I can't see can't hurt me."  Then it happens the next time, and eventually the user may recognize the advice was akin to sweeping problems under the rug.  No I say, it is time to educate users so their upgrade is as easy as one that is for luddites.  Until every user is educated, I don't it can safely be said it is for luddites.

  • Martin Pace Level 5 Level 5

    It really depends on how important the data on the computer is. If it's just used for web surfing and games it probably no big deal if something goes wrong. However: prostate-cancer?redirected=true

  • macjack Level 9 Level 9

    Truly unfortunate, but who would imagine working on something that important with no backup???

    Don't forget OS X also ships with Time Machine, a pretty good hint that backups are important

  • vea1083 Level 3 Level 3

    I will do the update, this is what I have done so far:

    1. Backed up important docs to USB Flash Drive (Sorry, I don't have an external HDD to do a complete HDD image)
    2. Checked console and there was a dyld cache error that was appearing contantly on the ystem log. I used OnyX to rebuild the dyld cache and the entry has not appeared ever since. Other than that the log just talks about "illegal arguments" etc.


    Now this is what I have not done yet:

    1. Repair Permissions
      • The following brings these questions:
        • When I finish performing a permissions fix, should I then launch Software Update to dowload and install the update or I should reboot after the permissions fix?
        • After finishing the update should I do a second permissions fix?


    Do you think after doing the permissions repair I will be ready to perform the update?



  • AnaMusic Level 9 Level 9



    This is my idiosyncratic way of upgrading...


    First I make sure my Two Backups ( Time Machine and SuperDuper ) are Up to Date...


    Then I do a Permissions Repair... Followed by a Restart...


    Next I download and Install the Combo Update...


    Works for me...




  • vea1083 Level 3 Level 3

    I survived the last Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Update. So far so good... Lion, here I come!

Previous 1 2 Next