Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will 'real' versions of FCP stop working with Lion?

I really feel like I dodged a bullet on this one!

I make no claims to be a 'professional', but I've spent many years playing with FCS, trying to learn as much as I can and develop my skills as much as possible and become as much of an expert 'hobbyist' as I can. I WAS looking forward to FCP X and in fact was going to purchase it and the new Motion and Compressor on June 21st when I got home.....but then I read all the reviews and opinions....and I honestly feel lucky that I didn't waste the money on it.

I still have the FCP suite and it works just fine for me (I never even upgraded to version 3 b/c I thought it was a weak release and was happy with FCP 6, Motion 3, and everything else that went along with it)...but now with FCP X out and the Lion OS coming very shortly, I am wondering:

Is it possible that if I install Lion, FCP 6 may STOP working for me? Would/could Apple do that?

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 11:28 AM

If that should happen, I think there would be a serious revolt. The sad thing is that I would not put it past Apple to do it. They've done it before, and have no compunction about it.

<Edited by Host>

16 replies

Jun 24, 2011 1:12 PM in response to Robert Kleindienst1

Lion runs FCS beautifully, but there is a bit of a catch for FCS2 users at least. Here's my story:

I'm testing Lion and have been running FCS2 since I upgraded from Snow Leopard. The other day, I decided to pick up FCPX before reading all the issues with it currently. (My bad.) Being a diligent user, I actually uninstalled FCS2 prior to downloading FCPX. After seeing that I would still need to use my FCS2, I tried to reinstall it only to find out that (at least FCS2's) installer is PowerPC and, hence, will not run on Lion. So Lion will run FCS fine, but you just can't install it with Lion. Only way I was able to get it back was to restore from a Snow Leopard clone, and re upgrade to Lion again. Major pain as you can imagine. Again, not sure if this is an issue with FCS3.

Aug 26, 2011 5:15 PM in response to David Harbsmeier

Good advice, however, history may show that this is like saying if you fall in the ocean, hold your breath. You eventually have to breath.

I went through this in the last of the System 9 days with my Macs. Among other things, I have a small production studio and was running Digital Performer with installed MOTU PCI cards.

I just didn't upgrade (very unlike me, I wanted to upgrade). However, slowly but surely, other programs came out with upgrades I wanted or needed or I saw a new program I wanted or needed that just wouldn't run on System 9 anymore. So onto OSX on my PowerPC..... and then upgrades and new programs demanded that I move to an Intel machine.... so I did that.... hmmmm.... come to think of it, maybe there is a lot of thought to making hardware and software obsolete.

What I'll probably do is never upgrade this Intel MacBook Pro computer and will keep FCS running as long as I can, or until someone comes out with a "converter" utility to get all my projects into something else (Premiere or maybe Apple will have something better by then). When I see a program I've GOT to have, I'll buy a new computer.

BTW.... My video projects are typically multi-camera shoots of my music bands -- 3 to 6 camera shoots. Then I take the footage and use the FCS Multicam feature to edit it all together. I gave FCPX an objective review, but that is at least one of the features (multicam) that is missing. And for me, and many others reading from the various threads, the number one reason not to make the move is that all the work I've done for the past 10(?) years on FCP (since v1.0) will be gone.

What I can't understand is that there have been MAJOR motion pictures edited on FCP and it seemed like Apple would take over that world. So what do they do? Kill, not slowly, not gracefully, but in an off-hand announcement that FCPX was better and there will be no more FCP. I actually thought I read that wrong the first time I saw that..... What's that about, anyway? FCPX reminds me more of an amateur video editing program. Maybe that's the crowd they are going after, but then just call it something else like iVideoFun and continue to support FCP.

Oct 24, 2011 11:22 PM in response to diskfac

diskfac wrote:

this is becoming somewhat of a habbit at Apple to force peoples arms to get them to pay for upgrades.

Aperture, DVD Studio Pro, FCP...

Isn't anybody revolting?

Apple is more of a hardware company, that's where they make their money... Apple's software is designed to promote hardware upgrades. (not insidiously) When you buy into Apple you buy into a constant upgrade path.. New software often only supports new hardware.. at the same time they quickly drop support/sales of software.. they've even been known to keep older (2-3years) software from running on newer operating systems, even though the program would run perfectly well.

Don't expect a change anytime soon, it's obviously worked remarkably well for them.

Will 'real' versions of FCP stop working with Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.