Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

*Resolution* Copy or CP to a network share residing on a windows system returns: "Unable to allocate memory"

I encountered this little problem on my Snow Lepord MBR this morning, in my search for answers I found many threads that lacked proper resolutions to the issue, so I was forced to trace the problem myself...So here it is 🙂

When transfering to a microsoft based machine the file transactions are not paged on the Windows system, to handle file transactions of this type Windows adds said transactions into a "nonpaged pool" allocation table; however this cache has a maximum growth rate. When the nonpaged pool allocation cache overflows all the copy attempts from the source apple system will return "unable to allocate memory" and you will notice that your folder listing of the network share has vanished ( along with the abililty to reconnect ).

To resolve this problem simply copy and paste this lil batch script I whipped up into a text file (rename from .txt to .bat) or directily into command prompt. 🙂 ...Hope this helps.

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v LargeSystemCache /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" /v Size /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

NET STOP Browser

NET STOP Server

NET START Server

NET START Browser

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 12:36 PM

1 reply

*Resolution* Copy or CP to a network share residing on a windows system returns: "Unable to allocate memory"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.