Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb sites with photo slideshows after migration from MobileMe

I raised this question in another discussion earlier today in response to another post in the MobileMe forum (no answer yet), but the recent confirmation about the death of MobileMe webhosting brings new urgency to this question for me, so I figured I'd post it in the iWeb forum.

I knew that if I migrated my iWeb sites to another host, I'd lose the counter, etc. I wasn't concerned about that, and don't have a blog or comments area that would be impacted. But, on my two sites (iWeb -->MobileMe), there are many pictures--and slideshows are an important part of those sites. Will the slideshow feature of iWeb be able to be used after I migrate to another host such as hostexcellence or godaddy??? If that's true, then I really do have a problem. (I'm not talking about galleries from iPhoto to mobileme, but photo pages in iWeb sites.)

I've spent a ton of time over the last couple of years on those sites, and would hate to redo them. While there may be alternatives to the iWeb slideshow, it will take me quite a while to figure it out. (I never had a desire to learn how to do that--if I did, I wouldn't have needed iWeb.)

If anybody who uses the iWeb slideshow on a photo page and has their sites hosted somewhere other than MobileMe could let me know--I'd appreciate it. (Let me know which host you use please!) Thanks.

I guess related to this, if it's absolutely not going to work anymore, suggestions would be appreciated. Do I have to redo my sites for this? Is there an "iWeb like" program that has an easy to use slideshow for a photopage that would work? If so, I guess I have a year to redo my sites. 😟)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 2:02 PM

There shouldn't be any problems with the slideshow feature of iWeb on other hosting services and you will be able to continue using iWeb after MobileMe is discontinued (unless some kind of incompatibility shows up with Mac OS Lion).

Otherwise there are several iWeb-like programs. I would strongly advise Freeway (www.softpress.com). But there are others like Rapidweaver, sandvox, Shutterbug, Webacappella. They have trial versions, so just try them.

As far as hosting is concerned, I like machighway.

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2011 2:02 PM in response to Rob Westle

There shouldn't be any problems with the slideshow feature of iWeb on other hosting services and you will be able to continue using iWeb after MobileMe is discontinued (unless some kind of incompatibility shows up with Mac OS Lion).

Otherwise there are several iWeb-like programs. I would strongly advise Freeway (www.softpress.com). But there are others like Rapidweaver, sandvox, Shutterbug, Webacappella. They have trial versions, so just try them.

As far as hosting is concerned, I like machighway.

Jun 24, 2011 2:46 PM in response to Rob Westle

There will be no problem with iWeb websites with slideshows. I moved mine to Host Excellence and they play just fine: iPhoto Book as an iWeb Slideshow.

HE has a couple of deals not that are very good. $3.95/month for 1 free domain name, unlimited storage space and bandwidth, email address with alias and excellent ear-to-ear customer support or $7.95/monthly for 3 free domain names and the same other features.

There are a lot of hosting services out there so you shouldn't have a problem with finding one to replace MMe. I use Transmit for uploading. It allowed me to open my iDisk and HE servers in Finder-like windows so I could just drag and drop from the iDisk to HE. So simple.

OT

Jun 24, 2011 3:19 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks to both of you. Had I not read a post in the mobileme forums ( https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3102672?answerId=15477593022#15477593022 )which stated that slideshow would not work, I wouldnt' have even thought of that.

Old Toad, I was actually hoping to hear from you on this. I've gotten lots of help on these forums from you over time, and was aware that you had moved to HE. It's funny, but I was considering moving to HE, but saw this issue raised first. Your example above is exactly the kind of site I have, and needed to hear about.

At this point, I'll probably upload via FTP.

Not to take this to far off-topic, but when I do the migration to either HE or machighway, how long I should expect my sites to be down? I already have the domains through godaddy. I assume the order of migration is (1)sign the deal with the new host; (2) redelegate the domain (or transfer) it to the host; (3) upload and then remove the personal domain from MM.

Again--thanks to you both! Much appreciated. 🙂

Jun 24, 2011 5:10 PM in response to Rob Westle

You can keep your domains at GoDaddy but its more convenient to move them to HE in the long run.

I've just helped one iWeb user move to HE and the domain name switch was almost instant.

Transferring the domain name to another registrar doesn't effect where its pointing to during the switch. Once the transfer takes place its just a question of changing the nameservers and this takes place almost immediately.

Do the following for a smooth transition:

Open your new HE account and start the domain name transfer.

Upload your website files to the new server. Note that with HE you can create a root folder with the same name as the site in iWeb.

Test the site by using the IP number - http://xx.o.xx.ooo

When you are informed that the domain name has been transferred, click the manage button next to it in your HE account and change the nameservers with another button click.

Have a cup of coffee and then browse to your new site.

Go to the Web/Sites folder on your iDisk and delete your website(s).

Say goodbye to MobileMe and look forward to the benefit of real website hosting.

See this page for iWeb publishing options.

"I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link."

Jun 24, 2011 5:24 PM in response to Cyclosaurus

So the fact that slideshows on other servers now are working is because they are linking back to MMe servers for the necessary assets, right? 😟

Guess we'll have to use some other display option like Lightbox, Jalbum or similar.

Would we get the same results if we were to run an iWeb slideshow that was published to a folder on the hard drive while not connected to the internet? Just tried that and the only change was the icons for the slideshow buttons, forward, back and pause/play were missing. The rest of the slideshow performed normally. Or is it something on our Macs that is letting the slideshow run?

Thanks for the heads up.

Message was edited by: Old Toad

Jun 24, 2011 8:17 PM in response to Cyclosaurus

Hi, I too have many iWeb sites hosted on MobileMe, and I am trying to figure out what to do, and when. What I think would be helpful from Apple, or some third party, is a complete list of things that will break when an iWeb is moved to a conventional server elsewhere, based on the discontinuation. Does that request make sense? thx!

Jun 25, 2011 3:16 AM in response to Cyclosaurus

Ha! Agreed, but I mean a third party like u, or someone else who is smart enought to know all the ins and outs of iweb widgets/scripts/etc. that are dependent on the servers soon to be gone.

But to tell you the truth, I am just going to bite the bullet this year and drupal all the sites that I made in iWeb. I only did them in the first place cause it was cheap and fast. But as they say, there is no free lunch, nor websites.

Jun 25, 2011 4:05 AM in response to Rob Westle

I'm going to have to do some serious thinking about how I want to handle this. Can I assume that if slideshow doesn't work after the MM servers are gone, then the same holds true for other features on a photopage in iWeb. (Like being able to click on the individual picture only to enlarge it, etc.) If none of the parts of a photopage will work, I may have to redo my entire sites with a new program. I guess Apple has chosen to minimize all of this when they state:

"You will be able to continue publishing iWeb sites to MobileMe through June 30, 2012, even after moving to iCloud. With iWeb you can easily move a site published to MobileMe to another web hosting service and you should do so before that date. Please read this article for details."

"Easily"????

Jun 25, 2011 9:18 AM in response to Rob Westle

Past experience has taught me not to rely on media player assets on third party servers. Yahoo pulling the plug on the EasyListener player is a case in point.

As OT has pointed out, the slideshow works on other servers but, according to Cyclosaurus, some necessary assets are on the Apple server.

Wouldn't it be reasonable to expect that Apple will make these assets available after the demise of MobileMe if enough people requested this?

The iWeb method of getting media onto websites leaves a lot to be desired and there are a lot of other ways to display music, movies and photos. The photo page is one of iWebs few triumphs but there are many alternative slideshows and banners.

Most of these methods require that assets are uploaded to, ideally, your own server but its not so difficult once you grasp the concept and the basics of FTP.

iWeb does provide two other methods of publishing apart from MobileMe. The built in FTP is just as quick, easy and convenient as publishing to MobileMe once you set it up.

Publishing to a local folder and uploading via an FTP app. allows you to add SEO tags and optimize the files for faster download.

A good FTP application makes the task of uploading media player assets very easy - drag and drop.

"I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link."

Jun 25, 2011 12:16 PM in response to Cyclosaurus

even if it's just cosmetic

For legacy photo slideshow sites where the assets for the slideshows are no longer available (and it's a personal/family type of site) living with the question marks for those forward/pause/back buttons is a small price to pay. However, for commercial, formal sites they would not suffice.

Is there a way to relink those image links to substitute images on your server? Which files in a photo page site would need to be edited?

iWeb sites with photo slideshows after migration from MobileMe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.