Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to organize photos in a new album or event

First of all, please allow me to get something off my chest: recently, I gotmyself a new MacPro. My older MacBook died on me. One thing I was really happyabout is that, finally, I had iPhoto. Well, this turned into a nightmare. I donot consider myself as a tecno-idiot, but I guess I am from what I haveexperienced so far with iPhoto. It seems to me that is so"sophisticated" that its developers forgot those of us who only needthe simple pleasures of life...in this case just a place to store the photos ina particular order so we can see them or show them. Simple, no?

Thanks.

As for the actual problem, here goes: I use two notebooks, one is thisMac and the other is a Windows based unit.

Let me first refer to the organization of the pictures in the Windows basedunit

1. My pictures (all nicely organized each set in its own folder) havebeen on the Windows PC, using MS Office Picture Manager. Having iPhoto, Ithought I would move them to the Mac.

2. As we all know, when one downloads pictures from a camera, their"names" appear as a bunch of letters and the number indicating thesequence.

3. So, in MS Office Picture Manager, I have them organized in thefollowing manner 2003>wedding; 2003>Europe and so on right up to thisyear. Each folder begins with a year.

4. In, let's say, 2003>Europe, I organized the pictures startingwith numbers so that I have them like so: 2003>Europe>1. Paris-Eiffeltower; 2. Paris-Eiffel tower-top floor;3. Paris-Eiffel tower-panorama Paris...and so on.

Now, let me go to the Mac.

1. I copy-pasted my entire photo collection to an external hard driveand from there got iPhoto to import them where they landed in"Events", each showing as an "Event". All seemed well sofar.

2. It so happens that I am trying to sell my house. The realtor wantsa set of pictures, so I created a new "Event" and went into variousother events to pull pictures from them and form a special set for the realtor.And here is where the problem surfaced.

3. I started moving pictures into the new "Event". I thengave each picture a number (1-, 2-, 3-, etc.) and a description (main entrance,entrance hall, and so on, just like I did in MS Office Picture Manager). So farso good.

4. Then I went to View>sort>by name. It turned out that unlike PictureManager, iPhoto does not recognize numbers as "names" and so, it didnot put them in the right sequence.

5. NOT ONLY THAT, the pictures got scrambled and some of thedescriptions were in sequence and othersnot and some reverted to their original names (in Windows) and a couple evenwent further back and appeared as DSCN...whatever.

6. I tried various ways. Nothing. So I called Apple support anddespite the fact that we seemed to be speaking different languages for a while,I finally understood that I needed to create an "Album" (under"Albums") and do the work there.

7. So I did, but the 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. classification still would notwork. So I tried A-, B-, C-, D-, etc. and THAT would not work either. So I justgave up in frustration.

So, my question is this: is there anyone who can kindly let me knowhow I can do something as simple and straightforward as creating a new album,move pictures from "Events" or "Photos" (I even tried fromthere) into the new album and have them sort themselves as sequence with thenames I give them. Or at least, stay in the sequence I assigned them.

I am sorry for this long-winded message, but there was no shorter wayto explain this.

Many thanks,

Emile

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 15 inch unit purchased in February,

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 4:33 PM

4 replies

Jun 24, 2011 6:59 PM in response to emile n

The answer is very simply - you need to learn how to use iPhoto just as sometime in the past your learned to use what ever program you used to use

As long as you keep using iPhoto according to the instructions for some other program you will continue to not get the results you expect

First off you need to understand that iPhoto is a Photo manager - NOT a file manager like you apparently are used to - then watch the iPhoto videos - start with the iPhoto help menu ==> iPhoto help and watch the videos -- then create a small library and experiment

is there anyone who can kindly let me knowhow I can do something as simple and straightforward as creating a new album,move pictures from "Events" or "Photos" (I even tried fromthere) into the new album and have them sort themselves as sequence with thenames I give them.

Sure - select the photo(s) and create a new album with them - you can add photos to the album by dragging from an event to it (note that photos really live in the event - albums are only pointers to the photos in the event) - in the album select all and under the view menu ==> sort photos select the sort you want

Seems pretty easy to me - maybe even simple

LN

Jun 24, 2011 11:21 PM in response to emile n

Emile

Bear with me a minute. You're confusing a lot of things.

1. As Larry says, on Windows you are using a File Manager for you your photos. All well and good if it works for you, but limited. Why? Because it doesn't leverage any of the extra information available with photos files. Essentially, a File Manager doesn't distinguish between a photo nd a Word file or a Music file. They are just files.

2. Photo Managers like iPhoto (Or Picasa, Aperture, Lightroom et al) work differently. They are designed to leverage the additional information available in the photo file. Case in point: Date. In the File Manager you have folders created for Year/Month/Day. In iPhoto the pics are grouped into Events automatically. These Events are based on the date and time the Photos were taken, and which is recorded in the Exif metadata for the photo file.

As we all know, when one downloads pictures from a camera, their"names" appear as a bunch of letters and the number indicating thesequence.

These are Filenames assigned by the Camera. In iPhoto you don't change Filenames you edit Titles. Titles are quite independent of filenames and are an entry in the Exif metadata.

I'm not sure what you've done in the renaming sequence, but iPhoto does not have a Sort -> by Name command. There is a Sort By Title command.

But you would not use Events for this job anyway. You would use an Album. Create an Album, drag the pics to it and then you can sort them in any order you want, manually. Then using the Batch Change Command you can create a sequence for them. So, Title the pics 'House Sale' and check the box to append number and the result:

House Sale 01, House Sale 02 etc

Regards

TD

Jun 25, 2011 8:55 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hello Terence,

Many thanks for your answer. And yes, I knew it was confusing, and I knew that Office Picture Manager is a different concept. What I was looking for in iPhoto was not a clone of Pict. Mgr. but rather the ability to organize the photos simply and without any sophisticated ancillary features. Meaning, the same result despite the fact that it is a different system. Naive, I suppose. And I get the feeling that Larry really thinks I am an idiot, hence his tone.

In any case, I will try what you suggest in theis part of your answer

("You would use an Album. Create an Album, drag the pics to it and then you can sort them in any order you want, manually. Then using the Batch Change Command you can create a sequence for them. So, Title the pics 'House Sale' and check the box to append number and the result: House Sale 01, House Sale 02 etc")

I think I tried part of what you suggeted and failed, but I did not do the Batch Change Command part.

Thanks again. If you don't mind, I would ñike to report back to you with any results (good or bad).

Emile

Jun 25, 2011 9:04 AM in response to LarryHN

Hello Larry,

Thanks for your answer. I will try your suggestion and see what happens and will let you know. Terrence Devlin also made a very interesting suggestion which I will try.

I know it is hard to really gues the tone of an email message, but my take on your tone is that you take me for an idiot. Maybe I am. I am definitely not you to whom this..." Seems pretty easy... - maybe even simple" as you put it.

The truth is, if it were so simple and easy, I would not have turned to you guys.

Thanks again.

Emile

how to organize photos in a new album or event

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.