Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone like it? Any positive reviews?

Just curious.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 11:32 PM

32 replies

Jun 24, 2011 11:59 PM in response to kat.hayes

Keep in mind, am currently an intermediate level editor, who's working at becoming professional one day (or at least involved in tv production) ONE DAY, so my opinion may be skewed.

My opinion on FCPX is two-fold. I really love the improvements that we were told about at the press conference back when. Backround rendering is saving me SO much time, I really needed the native AVCHD support, 64 bit is making it run a heck of a lot faster for me, and I honestly like the overall UI and the magnetic timeline is something I can get used to with some practice.

THAT SAID, there are some missing features that even I am left scratching my head about. Granted, none of them is making it IMPOSSIBLE for me to do editing because I'm not at that level yet where I need XY or Z to get my job done, however these lacking features are making it a heck of a lot harder for me. I'd really like multicam back, I was a big fan of selecting edits and "Sending to Motion" and importing .motns into the timeline to be updated in real-time and both of those are missing! I really like being able to set my own scratch disks, and I really liked being able to export files as QT References from time to time. I can do neither of these either. I also noticed a few others but cant remember them at the time being.

So here's the thing, for ME personally, the positives outweighed the negatives for me at my current juncture so I purchased it and am happy with it. However, there is so much untapped potential. If Apple updates FCPX and restores these features (and Im sure Pros would like MANY more restored) I will be a VERY happy camper and would be ok calling it a 4 or 5 star app. It's just not there yet however. For professionals, this can be a deal-breaker for them so I understand them not buying or being upset.

The concepts and improvements to FCPX are great and in that regard its a great program, but making these at the expense of other IMPORTANT features hurts it and is preventing it from reaching its full potential at this moment.

Jun 25, 2011 12:17 AM in response to AHXtreme42

Thanks for your honest appraisal. So far as I can see Apple has forgotten its existing users and is catering to a new section of the public by starting all over and forcing the old customers to follow suit. But that is totally wrong. FCP7 takes a long time to master, you just don't throw all that away for a few new niceties.

At this moment it's not for me. Maybe in five years FCP X will be ready to replace FCP 7, but by then the pros will have moved to an other platform.

Apple is snubbing its existing users. The same holds true for MobileMe. It's the greatest users who are getting snubbed.

Jun 25, 2011 12:19 AM in response to kat.hayes

My sentiments are reflected quite accurately by AHXTreme. With my current workflow, there have been some comprimises, but the positives for my have outweighed the negative so far.

FCPX feels like it is a base. Certainly a 1.0 release, and something that Apple will hopefull build upon, and with greater frequency than with previous software.

Jun 25, 2011 12:21 AM in response to kat.hayes

I'm a wedding photographer / Videographer. I also do simple single camera video for comercial use.

I don't need a lot of the features the big boys need... but a simple feature like Multi Cam is not there.... Also I can change Aspect Ratios in FCP6 I shot a vid in Letterbox and it was supposed to be in 4x3.

I am not saying every feature is terrible in this program... most people here liked what they saw in April. It's just it's missing so many features already built into the past several versions of the software.

When I saw the price I thought... it seems a bit cheap for the feature set. I was right they took out features to make the price fit.

I remember the huge box set I got with Final Cut Pro 6... wow I felt I got my money's worth. Downloading the App .... hmmm I would rather install from DVD's and have a backup.

What should Apple do? I can tell you... not what they have been doing. Whistling and looking the other way giving fanboy pundits talking points.

Come out and be honest... it won't kill you. You have reached the size where you are starting to make mistakes. It happened to IBM, Microsoft, Ashton Tate, Lotus, etc etc

When you were small and agil you would have responded quickly... now you have to first figure out who made what decision and then calculate cost to fix and then run through legal department to make sure you don't give away too much.

I would love for Apple to say something like this.

Apple to all Pro users of Final Cut Pro. We apologise it was not our intention to release anything but top quality usable software. We will come out in a few days with a complete list of improvements and additions to address your problems. We will have to increase the price... however those of you who already purchased the product will get the upgrade at no cost.

Jun 25, 2011 12:29 AM in response to Appeltjehehe

Appel,

I totally agree with you there. Like I said I'd like to become professional one day, and I'm actually worrying that long term if Apple doesn't put back some of the better functionality back into FCPX, that I'm going to suffer from it. (silly worry I know, but I'd like to learn pro features and its hard to if they arent there) I'll admit even I had to relearn what very little in comparison I knew. ALong with several features which you and I can agree I'd like to have back, It would be nice if Apple added some options which made FCPX feel like FCP7 for those who wanted it. For example, imagine if tracks still existed, except you could assign anything to each track, magnetism (if you wanted it on), and compounding clips. That would be combining the best of both worlds!!

Apple has been known to take things and make some radical changes to make things easier in the long term. In some ways FCPX does this, but in some they REMOVED them and this is not the solution. I mentioned being able to add .motns into the timeline, this WAS a great feature to make things easier. Simply removing the feature does not make it EASIER as they were expected, it just makes the feature not there. And has made it more of a pain in the rear for me.

I also agree with Frazuh and Jakarta. To combine their thoughts, they need to acknowledge that addition by subtraction worked in some ways in their software, and failed in others. A simple we will work to get these features BACK to you and integrate it with our new and different workflow would be a huge sign of promise for me, regardless of the fact that I am generally more happy with FCPX than not, doesn't mean I wouldnt like this promise.

Jun 25, 2011 6:17 AM in response to kat.hayes

I think it is great so far. I am a long time user of FCP and FCE and yes it took a long time and I loved both apps. And yes my job depends on editing. But I don't see why all the ''pros" are whining. I was reading all the whining and was very concerned and bummed out, then realized I should just try it. I purchased it yesterday and have been messing with it and I think it is great. Apple has already said they are adding multi-cam, that it is a ''top priority'' and everything else people are ******** about I am doing fine in fcpx. I am working off an external hd so why is everybody saying they cannot set the ''scratch disc?" of course you can. The only thing is you cannot add an fcp7 project. So what? why is that such a big deal? finish your projects in fcp7 and start new ones in fcpx. the time saved in the blazing speed of this new version is worth it alone. I hated iMovie. I tried using it a few times and could not stand it. Surprisingly, I love the new interface in fcpx. It just takes getting used to, learning an all new way of editing, but so far I am finding nothing I cannot do that I want to do. And all I do is faster and more intuitive. It's technology and technology changes. Get out of the past and move on or you will be left behind. It seems the negativity is mostly being done by people who haven't even tried the version yet. I think it is going to be great, especially when Apple starts updates.

Jun 25, 2011 6:36 AM in response to jctez

I've been working with Final Cut since version 2, telling everybody 'you should buy apple' for many years and now my workflow is dead.

Bought a Kona 3 two years ago and now if I change my editing software I have to get Avid DS (huge money) or sell the Kona card and buy Blackmagic + Avid MC for monitor out. Another option would be going for Adobe Premier who is more up to pro level and fidel for their users.

Anyhow, it means money invest and new knowledge to learn and, of course, keep feeding the family.

IMHO, Final Cut Pro X is useless for professional people... no workflows, no nothing... plus, new money invest...

Bye bye Apple

<Edited by Host>

Jun 25, 2011 6:36 AM in response to jctez

Get out of the past and move on or you will be left behind.

The situation is this: I have a number of clients who come back to me on a (ir)regular basis (yes, I'm that good!). Every so often I need to recapture their old (taped) material and/or expand existing projects that ARE actually moving on.

Now Apple has made that virtually impossible. So no matter how good this FC(P) X is, it is Apple that leaves ME behind.

It's great to hear they will add features in 'the future', but I simply cannot 'move on' while my clients still insist on 'old' media carriers. After all, the customer is always right (you hear me, Apple?).

Jun 25, 2011 6:53 AM in response to Carlos_punkframe

. It's called technology. Technology changes. Change with it or be left behind. Do you really think Apple is not going to update? Can you read? They have already said multi cam is first priority. they already said much will be improved with Lion. They have already given many work arounds for the things you so called ''pros'' are complaining g about without even spending a minute with the app. Do you know how to use compressor or color corrector? Or do you just complain about it? And yeah, I DO love the new interface. Did not think I would but the more I use it the more intuitive and quick it is. I mean, come on man. Apple ain't stupid.

<Edited by Host>

Jun 25, 2011 6:49 AM in response to Sticky Pixels

so don't USE it! stick to fcp7 until you can use fcpx. I don't get the big deal. Since when has Apple EVER explained themselves about anything to anybody? Not even to their employees! But they ALWAYS come thru and listen and change things. Always. And yes they have said more about this than any other new product/update in recent memory. Here:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/06/24/multicam.audio.tracks.to.be.added.back/

Jun 25, 2011 7:13 AM in response to Sticky Pixels

yeah it's that simple. why isn't it? were you expecting an imminent update to fcp7 or something? did it disappear from your machine? do u think in a year fcpx will not have everything you need? that is my point: why would you not start learning fcpx whilst using fcp7 for your job when you have to? yes, I agree Apple should reinstate fcp7 at least for licsensing additional copies for facilities that need them but for everyone to just sit on forums and complain instead of learning it and readying themselves for the future is just absurd to me. I mean, the complaints for a brand new software are just lame when you have the old version you love and need sitting there. Everyone acts like they are such ''apple enthusiasts" and were personally attacked and their lively hoods taken away, but if that is true they would know how Apple works and all will be well and better. It has not even been out a week! All I'm saying is I bought into all the negativity and decided to buy it and try it and it keeps getting better the more I use it. There are tons of work arounds and more to come. If you don't like the interface that is not Apple's fault or problem. It's yours. Move on to something else then. That is just how it is. *****, but how it is when you do not even give it some time. I don't know. Maybe I am just more open minded and hopeful but I have been using Apple and FCP for a very long time and experience tells me all will be well. Look at all the people who complained and freaked out about iMovie, they listened and fixed that for all the average, amatuer video consumers. People freaked at QT7 being discontinued but I still use it all the time after how many years? Whatever. Just stay negative if that helps you.

Jun 25, 2011 7:22 AM in response to jctez

jctez, you want to see my showreel?? Do you think I'm old? I'm not even english man¡¡

What I am complaining is customer care and support. They were fighting years for a pro level in the market and we all followed them, so, what now?? You are one and we are 100 affected with no expectation at all, well just trust on Apple will do something for the pro users.

I am an Assimilate Scratch and Apple Color colourist and using Tangent devices for controlling... so what?? no edl or xml?? no more Apple Color updates and improvements?? Their improvements on FCP X are for kids or no pro editors. Just telling... good service for customers like other companies do.

BTW, do you think is the best time to mess around with this?? I mean with this crisis??

BTW2, I love Steve Jobs and I bloody trust on Apple since only a few people we were using his products.

Does anyone like it? Any positive reviews?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.