6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2011 3:47 AM by Alley_Cat
cdmilton Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm a bit confused: Can you import from tape (1080p, mini-DV) to FCP X? Sounds like export to tape is gone, at least for now. What about import? Anyone know?

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (112,500 points)

Yes, you can import from tape.

• Adam Scoffield Level 4 Level 4 (2,920 points)

Hi

Yes and no. You can import from dv, hdv etc over FireWire. However you cannot log and batch capture. What you can do though is create an archive of a tape. Simply this digitises thevwhole tape ( I think), you can then import this at a later stage. I dont know what it does about timecode breaks.

You cannot capture from digibeta or other formats that require 422 protocol control. there will be 3rd party solutions in due time no doubt.

Of course this makes it impossible afaik to restore old projects even if you could open them.

A

• Patrick Sheffield Level 7 Level 7 (29,175 points)

Adam Scoffield wrote:

...snip...

Of course this makes it impossible afaik to restore old projects even if you could open them.

A

Ah HA! Maybe that's why they don't let you open old FCP projects....

Seriously, I bet it has a lot to do with being unable to handle media like FCP could.

p

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (18,635 points)

Adam Scoffield wrote:

Hi

Yes and no. You can import from dv, hdv etc over FireWire. However you cannot log and batch capture. What you can do though is create an archive of a tape. Simply this digitises thevwhole tape ( I think), you can then import this at a later stage. I dont know what it does about timecode breaks.

Anybody have any more info on this - I've previously not used FCP - but have a Sony miniDV HDV camcorder.  I currently just keep events in AIC format for iMovie and a compressed backup as an mt2s file created using the FW SDK tools.

What's the best way of preserving date/time data etc in an 'archive'.

Did FC Express offer log and batch capture?

• hafken Level 4 Level 4 (1,225 points)

You can import from both DV and HDV. I too have previously imported HDV tapes using FCE, which only offered AIC as the format, which loses timecode info.

I have tried reimporting a tape (HDV) and the good news is that it is saved without any transcoding using the HDV codec. It also does not have to (actually CANNOT) be transcoded to Prores when editing inside FCPX (e.g., it is a native codec). Finally, I believe timecode is preserved since all the clips are named using the date/time stamp of when the clip was recorded. Another nice aspect is that HDV is ~ 1/4 the size of AIC.

You can also create a tape archive instead of directly importing; at that point, you can selectively import what you want from the tape archive, either entire clips or setting in/out points.

The bad news: it is a one way street -- you can no longer "print to video" so once you import, you become tapeless. Obviously a big step back from both FCP and FCE. There's also no log and (batch) capture. You can only queue the tape up and hit the "import" button. It imports real-time until you clip the stop button, or the end of the tape is reached.

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (18,635 points)

Thanks for that info Hafken.

Very useful.

As you say the size benefit is substantial - 40GB for an HDV tape in AIC for me - to be honest drive space is cheap but when you keep several copies it soon mounts up - I'll be able to keep a working copy and two backups in the space of 1 AIC import.

The inability to export to tape probably won't affect me personally but I'd imagine it'd be a headache for those needing the functionality.

I only have a consumer HDV camera (Sony HD HC-3), and after it broke following relatively light usage, I really want to shift away from tape as an archive option as I have no idea how long Sony will continue to be able to repair it, and there have been no consumer replacements for some time.  It's still a good camcorder for my uses, but I tend to use my DSLR more and more these days for grabbing clips of the family etc.

AC