Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do you have to pay to create an iTunes account?

A friend of mine has an iPod Touch and would obviously like to download apps and music. Unfortunately, she says when she tried to create an account, she found out she had to nominate an amount to spend each month.

We did not have to do this when we set up all three of our accounts in our family - why would this family have to?

Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 1:47 AM

I set up an account in my iPhone without a credit card or anything like that. The only thing that apple has of mine are an email address and my actual address. If that's what you want make sure you're not signed into any account in the app store on your iDevice. Find an app that you want that's free and hit install when it says create an account or log in hit create account. Fill out everything as you normally would but when you get to payment options under the credit card varieties there will be the various ones and there will be an option "none" just hit none and finish making your account and that's all you need to do. Keep in mind though that you will only be able to download free apps, if you would like to purchase them you would have to set up a credit card or something like that to your account.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2011 1:47 AM in response to Sam Hawkwood

I set up an account in my iPhone without a credit card or anything like that. The only thing that apple has of mine are an email address and my actual address. If that's what you want make sure you're not signed into any account in the app store on your iDevice. Find an app that you want that's free and hit install when it says create an account or log in hit create account. Fill out everything as you normally would but when you get to payment options under the credit card varieties there will be the various ones and there will be an option "none" just hit none and finish making your account and that's all you need to do. Keep in mind though that you will only be able to download free apps, if you would like to purchase them you would have to set up a credit card or something like that to your account.

Jun 25, 2011 5:23 AM in response to Sam Hawkwood

Make sure she is really dealing with iTunes and Apple. Occasionally people fall for scams that ask for a subscription. The iTunes Store does not have subscriptions. It is "pay by the drink."

Another possibility is that there is confusion with the parental allowance feature, by which you can provde a fixed amount per month for your kid to use. This is an optional feature, and is not necessary for setting up an account.

Do you have to pay to create an iTunes account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.