Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

duplicate file finder

I have a year-old 27 iMac and I believe that, for one reason or another, I have about 5 - 10 duplicates of most files on my computer.

Word, excel, PDF, InDesign, Illustrator documents. Probably songs and photos too.

I would like a duplicate file finder program to locate the files so that I can delete.

I am not a techie, I want to drag a folder, find duplicates, and delete.

I do not want to search for a particular file for duplicates, I just want to drop a folder, and have the search start.

Free is nice, but $10 is fine too.

I see all kinds out there, I am asking for a recommendation.

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 2:09 AM

3 replies

Dec 14, 2011 11:51 PM in response to sirgunther

I am in the process of trying Tidy Up!. It has a myriad of search parameters that you can use. It has two ways to use it: Basic and Advanced. In the advanced mode there are an infinite number of ways to narrow your search. So far, so good. The only drawback is that it costs $. Right now you can get it for $30.00 online at Hyperbolic Software.

An alternative is dupeGuru. It is now a "fairware" application (no longer shareware). They ask for a donation, but that is optional. The GUI is rather sparse but, for the price, you might want to give it a try. You'll find it online at Hardcoded Software.

If you have obtained one since your post let us know what you are using and what you think of it.

duplicate file finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.