Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open Source Final Cut Server

It would make sense to open source Final Cut Server instead of discontinuing it. Many depend on it and have massive asset libraries and workflows that will not be moving any time and need support. QuickTime/Darwin Streaming Server is open source and thriving. Final Cut Server should be given that chance as it still has many uses and a lot of potential in areas that Apple hasn't explored.

Apple please give back to community of loyal users and pro's around the world by open sourcing Final Cut Server and not letting it sit on the shelf like Shake collecting dust when it could be so much more!

Final Cut Server, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 3:57 AM

8 replies

Jun 26, 2011 10:29 AM in response to Sjazbec

I'm not joking. If Apple had the intention of releasing a replacement product for Final Cut Server they would have done so or at least have announced a replacement versus discontinuing it.

Final Cut Server also relies on XML which Apple has pretty much dropped in FCP X. Without a common interchange format that is XML things don't look too bright. Apple has also been moving away from the enterprise, first the Xraid, then the Xserve, now Final Cut Server. More then likely XSAN is next on the chopping block (when was it last updated?)

It makes sense for Apple to open source Final Cut Server. Final Cut Server still has plenty of unrealized potential and users still need support. If Apple is too busy to maintain it then open sourcing will alleviate that problem. It also opens the door for integration with other popular third party applications, like Nuke, Houdini, Mari etc... Final Cut Server could be extended to support these cutting edge applications and workflows among others. Final Cut Server could also be ported to FreeBSD or Solaris. We don't know how long Mac OS X server will be around. What we do know that Apple isn't using it in it's datacenter, so that doesn't put much confidence on Apple supporting it in the future. I could go on.

In the end of the day open sourcing Final Cut Server will only help Apple. At least it would be something positive to alleviate the bad press that FCP X is receiving and help Apple give back to the community.

Jun 29, 2011 2:23 PM in response to z3r0bit

I agree with this. We have invested too much to simply abandon our infrastructure and explore other options. Open source would be in everyone's best interest. I encourage you to visit the FCSvr feedback page and recommend this. http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutserver.html. Please be constructive - there has been enough temper tantrums and gripes about FCSvr being killed and the new way the FCPX works. Please be detailed about how you use FCSvr, any customization you've done, especially if they involve using the command line tools and scripting in any form. I personally have invested countless hours pouring over bash scripts, scouring the 43 "px" tables in the postgres database looking for ways to improve our setup, and writing libraries of functions to make scripting easy. I figured out how to customize our distribution to make it do what we need it to do, to serve our business and our clients. If the road ends here, was that all for nothing? FCSvr is a great product. I know that it doesn't jive with FCPX new ways of thinking. I know FCPX has range keywording and metadata capabilities. But what of a notification system? What of a transcoding server? What of subscription/responses triggering actions like archiving to tape? What about support for changing metadata with third party solutions? What about publishing the catalog to online services like MediaSilo? There are countless functions that have become part of the workflow of professional production companies. FCSvr has totally changed the way we work and think about our assets. I was just beginning to get somewhere with our producers and editors, and I really don't want to stop now. Open sourcing FCSvr would give developers the opportunity to write their own modules for FCSvr, we could see support for all kinds of functionality. It's not going to happen though if you don't tell them you need it. Send your feedback using the feedback page. Talk to the vendor you bought FCSvr from or the person who installed it in your organization and encourage them to have this discussion with the people at Apple who can make a difference. Please take action, don't just gripe and make broad stroke suggestions here on the forum. Thanks for your time.

Jul 10, 2011 7:06 AM in response to Will Griffith

On, by now, you all realize there's no open source, no version X, nothing. Apple is simply not going to do any MAM solution at all, period. Does it make sense to devistate customer confidence this way? No. But it's what Apple has chosen to do.

Funny, cause Apple touted what an overwhelming market share Final Cut Pro had, and all the movies and TV shows cut with it, when they did the NAB sneak peek (I was there, it was odd). But then release a product that in no way, shape, or form would ever be able to handle those types of work ever again. There was a HUGE disconnect there.

Someone at an Apple meeting with vendors in London leaked info that Apple is leaving MAM solutions up to third parties, and that there will be some cheap ones, and some expensive ones, coming soon.

Logically, someone is in the MAM business, knows how fuming mad FCSvr installation bases are, and will step up to the plate with a comparible solution, AND a way to port the libraries from one to the other. That company would reap huge rewards with FCSvr bases.

But, FCSvr is gone, period, forever, done, no more. As angry as it makes me, as 1/3 of my annual income was FCSvr based, and now it's gone, in already hard times, we have to find new solutions, help each other port to them, and move forward. Just don't buy Apple again. You see what they think of customer loyalty, right?

Open Source Final Cut Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.