Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari isn't remembering ANYTHING.

When i go onto a website, E.G, youtube and log in and then close safari and reopen, it forgets it. If i go onto facebook log in and close, it forgets it. I have to keep typing it in. I have reinstalled Safari and i've deleted all the files and reset safari, no help. I did previously fix this by restoring PC, but that made it lose the .msi file which i managed to fix, but i no longer have a backup point so now i must fix this problem. If anyone knows how to fix this, please help me.

PS. I'm on Windows Vista SP2, running Safari 5.0.5. Sorry if i've posted in wrong place.

Compaq Desktop-OTHER, Windows Vista, Vista SP2, Safari 5.0.5

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 6:53 AM

14 replies

Jun 25, 2011 4:08 PM in response to thomassooo

Can you check something further for me please, thomas? (This isn't going to be a cure in itself, but it may help narrow in on possible causes of the issue.)

Create a new Windows User account with full administrative rights. Log out of your usual account and log into the new one. (Don't use fast user switching to move between accounts.)

Launch Safari in the new user account, visit youtube, log in, close and relaunch safari, visit youtube again.

Are you still getting the same issue in the new user account?

Jun 26, 2011 3:28 AM in response to b noir

would this interfear with my iTunes and iOS device backups etc? Also i did try moving the files and plists out and deleting them, reinstalling safari etc. And also if i can change the topic a bit for more info, it does remember passwords however for youtube/facebook etc it won't automatically sign in.

Cheers for your help also.

Jun 26, 2011 3:41 AM in response to thomassooo

would this interfear with my iTunes and iOS device backups

No, it doesn't touch your content. It just removes some program files that iTunes also uses. (Apple Application Support is where single copies of program files used by multiple different Apple programs are kept. Both Safari and iTunes use some of the same program files, so those ones are stashed in AAS. So a complete uninstall of Safari (or iTunes for that matter) requires removing AAS.

AAS should reinstall when Safari is reinstalled. After that, iTunes should launch again.

Jun 26, 2011 8:01 PM in response to thomassooo

Let's try a standalone Apple Application Support install. It still might not install, but fingers crossed any error messages will give us a better idea of the underlying cause of the issue.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe) installer file to your hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR:

http://www.rarlab.com/

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleApplicationSupport.msi to do a standalone AAS install.

Does it install properly for you? If so, does iTunes launch properly now?

If instead you get an error message during the install, let us know what it says. (Precise text, please.)

Safari isn't remembering ANYTHING.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.