Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Option key shows Win partition, can't start it

Greetings all.

I have 10.6.8 and Win7 64-bit installed on internal iMac HDD.

When I attempt to access the Win7 partition on startup using the option key, it shows the list of boot devices, Mac and Windows, but selecting the Windows partition does nothing. The screen stays on the grey selection screen and will no longer accept keyboard or mouse inputs.

If I select the MacOS partition on startup, it boots normally.

If I select Win7 in the Mac Systems Preferences as the Boot Device, the machine goes to a grey screen on reboot and stays there.

If I use Boot Camp assistant to launch the Windows installer, the Win7 partition boots normally. If I select Win7 in the Windows Control Panel and reboot, Windows boots normally.

Two changes were made to the system recently. I updated to 10.6.8 and then the next night, Windows7 Service Pack 1.

Any help would be appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 27", i7, 8GB, 1TB HDD

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 11:22 AM

2 replies

Jun 27, 2011 10:54 AM in response to FloridaFlyer

It it were me I would try to start from the Windows 7 installation disk and use Startup Repair. It worked for me when I had a startup file that was corrupted.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-ques tions

Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain system problems that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair scans your computer for the problem and then tries to fix it so your computer can start correctly.

Startup Repair is one of the recovery tools in the System Recovery Options menu. This set of tools is located on your computer's hard disk and on the Windows installation disc.

Option key shows Win partition, can't start it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.