10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2011 6:59 PM by Macaby
Mark Hollingsworth Level 1 (10 points)

I have a new AppleTV.

I can send a few things (like from iTunes) to the AppleTV, but can't play a video from my MacBook over the AppleTV (like I can with my iPad).

How can I do that?

Opps, looks like I already asked this.

But if anyone has new answers...

• vazandrew Level 6 (17,956 points)

You can use airplay for content within iTunes on your Macbook. For video outside of that program, there maybe apps that can do it, try a search. If you're talking about video from a website then no I don't believe that can be done.

• curlewis Level 1 (0 points)

Get the paid version of VLC Streamer. It only cost a £1. With this app you can stream any video to your ipad/iphone. On your Ipad/Iphone select apple tv airplay as output. Thats all you need to do. Works great!

• philip tomlins Level 1 (0 points)

I just don't get why the iPad 2 can send video to my apple tv from safari and other apps but my MACBOOK PRO 2011 can't I can only send video from iTunes this makes the iPad 2 better then the MacBook pro how is that .

it is not like the MacBook pro can't  handle it .

it is like apple don't care about the MacBook pro any more the iPad is here

And when iOS 5 is here the iPad 2 will be able to mirror it's display to the apple tv there is no talk of that being available for the MacBook pro

iPad runs on a different OS

AirPlay is only compatible with iTunes on the computer

You can connect your MacBook if you want to mirror it

• Macaby Level 3 (910 points)

Jack an HDMI connector from your MB to your TV is all else fails.  I fail to see the logic of downloading a movie to an iPad or a computer and THEN streaming/airplaying it to a monitor via an ATV UNLESS it's to get the movie stored locally for perhaps a better streaming experience verses watching the movie immediately while it is still streaming in.

Am I missing something here?

vazandrew

Please tell me  How can  I mirror my Mac on apple tv

By connecting your macbook to your TV, see Macaby's response

yes i can do that but dont want a wire between me and tv i wont need on with the ipad 2 when ios 5 comes out

AirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2

Wow your audience in the board room, classroom or living room. AirPlay now supports video mirroring. Which means you can wirelessly — and securely — stream whatever’s on your iPad 2 to your HDTV via Apple TV. Everyone in the room sees exactly what’s on your iPad display up there on the big screen — even when you rotate iPad from portrait to landscape or zoom in and out on photos.2

http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios5/features.html#more    (the page i got it from)

this is from the apple web site i want this on my for mac and i dont see why they cant do it

I am quite aware of that, you didn't need to post it.

As I mentioned iPad is an IOS device, it is a different system. If you want to mirror the computer you need to connect it.

• Macaby Level 3 (910 points)

philip tomlins wrote:

http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios5/features.html#more    (the page i got it from)

this is from the apple web site i want this on my for mac and i dont see why they cant do it...

Wondering who "they" are?  When iOS5 comes out and probably around 20 million other users are waitting for the arrival, then "they" can do it.  BUT not now.

Oh, I see that you ant AirPlay for your Mac computer also.  Maybe yes or maybe no.  Looks like that will take an upgrade to OS X.