Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pops, Clicking, Snaps and Crackles in Logic Pro! Please Help?

This is starting to really really, P*ss me off. I started an new logic project yesterday and built the project around some old audio files I recorded about a year ago on a PC Using FL Studio.

Just out of the blue I started getting clicking, and popping nosies when playing the track, so i thought maybe logic isnt fully compatible with these files becuase they were recored and exported on a pc. I use Audacity to convert them first. Nothing Changed, Still got the clicking and snap noises etc. Then I decided to convert them in logic, so i bouced them down into a .wav file. The problem sort of died down. Then the noises came back. But it isnt just when im using logic pro get the noises. I get them all the time. When Im listerning to music, editing in iMovie etc.

I also get these noises when I have bounced the project as well.

I have tried EVERYTHING!

Reseting the Coreaudio

increasing buffers sizes in logic

Changing the process buffer range in logic

the rewire mode in logic

Updates

Cleaning the audio output

Reinstalling logic

Downloading 3rd Party software to deal with it

Restarting the Computer

Also tried different headphones, different speakers and monitors

How can you take Apple seriously when you spend all this money and end up with problems!

How do the pro's handle this. I mean a professional producer for a record label or big studio got this what would he or she do!

If you know how to solve this please respond

Thanks in advance

PS I am not using any third party plug ins.

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 13inch Macbook Pro 2011

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 1:41 PM

15 replies

Jun 25, 2011 2:16 PM in response to ThomasLewis220

First, do a forum search, you're asking a common question. You might be able to find out a direct answer that way.

Second, I don't know what's going on with your stuff since there's no link to an example, but typically pops and clicks are a hardware issue where your audio device isn't clocking/syncing correctly with the core audio.

If the clicks are random and don't happen the same time and place on the file when doing a playback, then that's a big clue.

What gear are you using? Something from M-Audio? Running it on a slow USB port? Bad firewire? External hard drive? All of it on the internal? Got a port-hub in the mix? What's the deal; can't help you without info.

Jun 27, 2011 10:47 AM in response to ThomasLewis220

How can you take Apple seriously when you spend all this money and end up with problems!

How do the pro's handle this. I mean a professional producer for a record label or big studio got this what would he or she do!

If you know how to solve this please respond

Thanks in advance

PS I am not using any third party plug ins.

First of all... how can we take you seriously when you're using the cheap $2 audio built-in audio on a home computer... The "Pro's" would handle this by looking at you like you're crazy.

So, drop the "all the money I've spent" "How do the Pro's handle it" dialog... there are people here who have spent more than your whole rig on a single mic preamp.

That said, you shouldn't be getting the static/pops...etc even using the built-in audio

First... is everything legit, Logic is a purchased version?

A few things I didn't see on your list, although they usually don't cause problems.

-Disable Airport if you're using it.

-Unplug all USB peripherals

-reboot

pancenter-

Jun 27, 2011 11:40 AM in response to Pancenter

OK, Sorry If I seemed a little aggressive with this post. I was annoyed when I wrote this post. So Im sorry. Yes the version of logic is legit. Im using version 9.1.4.

the only USB peripheral I have at the moment is a wireless mouse. I have unplugged it, and I disabled Airport and I rebooted. I still hear little crackes. Unless its all in my imagination.

This problem started when I update OSX to 10.6.8. Maybe it is something to do with that? I have searched the web for similar problems with 10.6.8 and found nothing. Do you think it could be something to do with the update?

Thanks for your help

Jun 27, 2011 11:59 AM in response to ThomasLewis220

EDIT:

Hmmm... those seem to be related to 9.1.4, however... there are several posts reporting problems with the 10.6.8 OS upgrade.

No problem...

Yes, I'm afraid there's been several different problems related to 10.6.8 posted here, everything from kernel panics to Logic randomly quitting. Not sure if it's a combination of 9.1.4 and 10.6.8 or just 10.6.8.

Here's some related (but different than yours) problems.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3136700?answerId=15477393022#15477393022

Can you check the System Preferences/Accounts and see if you have anything listed under Login Items.

pancenter-

Jun 27, 2011 11:58 AM in response to Pancenter

I dont have anything listed under login items.

Should have bought logic pro 8.....

Il keep searching the web for solutions. Might Have to take my macbook into the apple store, let them have a look at it. see if they can fix the problem thats if its a hardware problem.

In my opinion i think its the 10.6.8 update becuase I had no problem before I updated.

thanks for your help aagin

Jun 27, 2011 4:05 PM in response to ThomasLewis220

ThomasLewis220 wrote:

is there anyway to delete an update

Unfortunately... no, not that I know of. Not unless you have a time machine backup and restore to a date previous to the 10.6.8 upgrade.

speculating:

There may be a way to do it using the plist editor and changing the version number to something like 10.6.5.

Then if you had the 10.6.7 combo update you could try the install, the update would check the current version number, see 10.6.5 and install the 10.6.7 combo update. You would need the 10.6.7 combo update though.

Hmmm... I found it.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#10.6.7

Looks like it the 5th down the list.

Mac OS X v10.6.7 Update Combo

I've done this before, to install some software that wanted a more recent OS that I had installed.

pancenter-

Pops, Clicking, Snaps and Crackles in Logic Pro! Please Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.