Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new to leopard-part 2

Hello again!

This, I believe, is a more serious problem.

I would prefer not to use Time Machine and keep doing as I've done when I was using my deceased PPC iMac: cloning my internal HD onto an FW-HD and updating the clone as needed.

In order to do this I first needed to install OS X 10.6 onto it, but this I could not do.

The installer said the FW-HD was not formatted as required by the installer: it does not use a "GUID Partition Table Scheme"

Installer told me to use Disk Utility to reformat the drive but the only options Disk Utility offered did not fit the description; it could only be formatted as one of these:

Mac OS Extended (journaled),

Mac OS Extended,

Mac OS Extended (case sensitive journaled), and

Mac OS Extended (case sensitive)

The FW-HD is a 330 GB Maxtor drive which I can connect to the computer only with USB as the cable is for FW 400 (another glitch, another surprise) and no one told me that I needed a different cable.

I tried twice to clone using SuperDuper! as I always did with my deceased PPC iMac, but it quit unexpectedly.

Am I stuck with Time Machine then?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 4GB DDR3-HP scanner, printer-WF HD

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 3:58 PM

Connect the drive using the proper USB cable. Prep the drive as follows:

Drive Preparation

1. Boot from your OS X Installer Disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID (for Intel Macs) or APM (for PPC Macs) then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

When formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Complete the OS X installation.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2011 3:58 PM in response to Ruben Tomasov

Drive Preparation

1. Boot from your OS X Installer Disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID (for Intel Macs) or APM (for PPC Macs) then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

When formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Complete the OS X installation.

Jun 26, 2011 8:35 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Drive Preparation

Thank you; I'll try it and let you know

Jun 26, 2011 12:43 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Drive Preparation

Thank you so much Kappy,

I'm glad to report it went seamlessly; even made the FW-HD a clone by transferring all information, settings, etc. from the internal HD.

Best regards,

Ruben

Jun 26, 2011 12:48 PM in response to noondaywitch

noondaywitch wrote:

Yes, if you want a bootable clone you need to reformat as GUID/Mac OS extended (journalled) as described.

You don't say if the drive is a new one, but most HDs as received are formatted for Windows.

SD and CCC will work fine once you've followed Kappy's advice.

noondaywitch,

Right, I did not say whether the drive is new or not; it is not new and I have been using it for cloning for quite a long time before with my deceased iMac.

I was able to install OS X on the external following Kappy's suggestion above.

For some reason (maybe because the FW-HD had not been reformatted) SD failed; I send the report to Shirt Pocket for them to tell me what happened, but did not get a reply yet.

Thank you; regards,

Ruben

Jun 27, 2011 10:32 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Drive Preparation

Kappy,

I must take back what I said on my first reply to your helpful post: I did get a bootable FW-HD the way you indicated but, not because you were not right: either the devil or Time Machine made away with it; I no longer have a bootable FW-HD!

I believe TM is the culprit and now I shall go back to trying backing up the old way, i.e.: either SuperDuper or CCC.

The reason I had to start TM was, SD nor CCC did work for some reason; I'm still waiting to hear from Shirt Pocket and find out why it did not work.

On the other hand, CCC can only clone a drive by first erasing the target (I believe this is also the case with SD), which is not what I want as the target was already formatted and bootable.

I need to go further on this issue but, I'll definitely get rid of TM; it is cumbersome and not worth using it; it keeps too much too long.

Thank you again; regards

Jun 27, 2011 11:11 AM in response to Ruben Tomasov

"On the other hand, CCC can only clone a drive by first erasing the target (I believe this is also the case with SD), which is not what I want as the target was already formatted and bootable".

This erases the file directory information only, like the basic erase function in Disk Utility. All cloning software will do this if you want a bootable drive. I use SilverKeeper from LaCie and it also needs a clean slate.

Jun 28, 2011 6:49 AM in response to noondaywitch

noondaywitch wrote:

"On the other hand, CCC can only clone a drive by first erasing the target (I believe this is also the case with SD), which is not what I want as the target was already formatted and bootable".

This erases the file directory information only, like the basic erase function in Disk Utility. All cloning software will do this if you want a bootable drive. I use SilverKeeper from LaCie and it also needs a clean slate.

I like language I can understand directly, not language that is cryptic or unclear.

When I read "erase", I understand the application will do what "erase" means: in this case, erase what is stored.

I would need more information about what is the actual meaning, in computer actions, of "erasing file directory information" because I would not like to lose what is on the target volume. It took me a lot of time to get it the way I want it. Time Machine has already done the erasing about which I was not aware (I may not have read everything related to TM, although I believe I did, but this is now water under the bridge.) I got rid of TM and prefer to back-up my HD without resource to applications which do not clearly tell me what they are about to do.

Thank you; regards

Jun 28, 2011 8:58 AM in response to Ruben Tomasov

If you're making a bootable clone, and there's already data which you don't wish to lose on the drive you intend to use as the clone, you need to move that data elsewhere.

While the erase function only erases the file directory, that means that Finder can no longer see that data and will treat all of the disc as free space. In fact, the actual data is still there until overwritten, and can be recovered by such as DataRescue et al. That's why there is a secure erase option in DU which overwrites the data with zeros.

Once you start the cloning process, the clone will overwrite what's on the disc, so you do need to backup/move any important data beforehand.

Jun 28, 2011 12:30 PM in response to noondaywitch

noondaywitch wrote:

If you're making a bootable clone, and there's already data which you don't wish to lose on the drive you intend to use as the clone, you need to move that data elsewhere.

While the erase function only erases the file directory, that means that Finder can no longer see that data and will treat all of the disc as free space. In fact, the actual data is still there until overwritten, and can be recovered by such as DataRescue et al. That's why there is a secure erase option in DU which overwrites the data with zeros.

Once you start the cloning process, the clone will overwrite what's on the disc, so you do need to backup/move any important data beforehand.

I understand; so, this is my approach:

1 - Created a FW-HD formatted as Mac OS X extended (journaled) with one partition GUID scheme on which I install OS X Sniw Leopard (as shown on Kappy's first reply to this thread.)

2 - The FW-HD is now bootable; verified and confirmed.

3 - Install all applications I have on the internal HD.

4 - Backing up is done according to SD's script "copy user files - new files" (or "different files", if applicable.)

I believe this way nothing shall be erased other than what is required to make files on the "clone" the same as those on the internal HD.

Am I right? I need to try it yet but first I have ti work around some glitch with SD.

Thank you; regards

new to leopard-part 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.