Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is jailbreaking legal?

I am deciding whether to jailbreak or not. Some people say it's legal and it voids the warranty, while others say that it is illegal. But both people say that it voids the warranty. If so, can I get my warranty back after I restore my Ipad 2 to it's default settings?

iPad 2, my Ipad runs on IOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 9:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 9:42 PM

You own the product and you can legally do whatever you wish to do to it. However, Apple has the legal right to deny warranty service and even to deny paid service if unauthorized changes (jail-breaking) have been performed. Also, do not assume that you will be able to restore it back to normal operation after having been jail-broken. I have seen many tears shed on this forum by individuals that were unable to restore their jail-broken iPads.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2011 9:42 PM in response to edwardfromcoquitlam

You own the product and you can legally do whatever you wish to do to it. However, Apple has the legal right to deny warranty service and even to deny paid service if unauthorized changes (jail-breaking) have been performed. Also, do not assume that you will be able to restore it back to normal operation after having been jail-broken. I have seen many tears shed on this forum by individuals that were unable to restore their jail-broken iPads.

Jan 14, 2014 8:19 AM in response to lspacelabs

Seriously? You revived a 3 year old post to complain about it?

To answer your question. No, you can talk about it as much as you want just not here. This is a private forum owned and run by Apple. They set the rules for participating here. Its like going to someone's house, when you are there you abide by their rules. If you choose not to you are kicked out.

So yes you can go and talk about it and its not illegal, its simply not allowed in these forums.

Jan 14, 2014 8:18 AM in response to edwardfromcoquitlam

Unauthorized modification of iOS can cause security vulnerabilities, instability, shortened battery life, and other issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743

If you jailbreak your iPad:

1. Your Apple warranty, if any is remaining, is canceled.

2. We can't help you in these forums.

3. Apple Support and the Genius Bar won't help you.

4. You can get a virus and malware.

5. You may "brick your iPad and have an $$$ paperweight.

What is Jailbreaking iOS? Should I do it?

https://sites.google.com/site/appleclubfhs/support/advice-and-articles/what-is-j ailbreakinghttps://sites.google.com/site/appleclubfhs/support/advice-and-articles/what-is-j ailbreaking

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Jan 12, 2015 8:07 PM in response to Philly_Phan

There is a way to restore. Just make sure you backup your device and revert to that backup if you need. I do not recommend jailbreaking as there are many problems and there is also probably a way apple can check if you have ever jailbroken. Also for those who say that they must repair if in warranty as long as it is not jailbroken at the time,if you read {i did cause i don't have a life} the little books it says if the device is or has been altered the warranty is VOID.

Jul 2, 2015 3:24 PM in response to edwardfromcoquitlam

I know that jailbreaking can also bring malware onto your device. My friend jailbroke his iPad and it got really jacked up with the springboard constantly crashing and viruses. I would have jailbroken my device if I had not known this. Really my friend says he fixed it and that you should only download tweaks from Big Boss but I don't trust that. I don't jailbreak because it could lead to viruses. My friend was also getting free music and well, that's illegal.

I get free music by adding mp3 files FROM MY COMPUTER to my itunes library then adding it to my device which doesn't always work. I suggest you don't jailbreak if you were wanting it for free music/ringtones because there is a better way of doing it.

Is jailbreaking legal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.