You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

scroll lock on apple keyboard

Is there a way to mock a "scroll lock" on an apple keyboard? I need it for a remote linux app.

Thanks!

Dual 1.25 g4 tower, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Jan 13, 2006 3:37 PM

11 replies

Jun 30, 2006 10:22 PM in response to davepex

I have the exact same keyboard and issue. SHIFT+F14 did not work. I also saw another suggetion for CTRL+F14. That didn't work either. I've tried a bunch of keys and sequences to try and find it by chance, but no luck so far. Did anyone ever find a fix or workaround? Is there a key mapping software or app that would let me make a key sequence to match that of a scroll lock under Windows? I'm brand new to the mac world so any info on how to go about finding a fix would be helpful too. Thanks!

Oh, one other thing, somewhere I saw mention of an "extended keyboard" for the mac that includes a scroll lock key. Anyone know what that is all about? I would assume that the mac keyboards can send the Windows scroll lock command if the exteneded keyboard can do it.

Jun 30, 2006 10:34 PM in response to tchristian34

Any USB keyboard with a scroll lock button should work perfectly, Apple's keyboards don't have a scroll lock button because, for most people, it's useless. You've already got page up/down and the scroll wheel on most mice, why have an extra button that no-body understands?

It seems very strange to me that a printer driver would take over the scroll lock button, does this mean you can no-longer use the button for it's original purpose?

Anyway, the answer is you'll need to plug in a keyboard with a scroll lock button, unless there's some software that will let you bind another key to scroll lock.

Jul 1, 2006 6:19 AM in response to Abhi Beckert

when I plug in a usb windows keyboard, scroll lock is mapped to "adjust screen brightness down" not the actual scroll lock key. And yes the scroll lock key still works as it should. The switch only recognizes a double tap of the scroll lock key, much like a double click on a mouse. Any other suggestions?

MacBook 2GHz 1GB Mac OS X (10.4.7) Back in Black

scroll lock on apple keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.