Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing .AVI files in Quicktime

Hello.

i bought QuickTime in order to be able to play on it some .AVI files and then convert them into .MOV to be able to add them on iTunes and then on my iPhones and iPad.

But i am really getting mad trying to letting QuickTime playing .AVI files!

I have downloaded all the codecs i know, all i have managed to do is to play the video but the audio was muted - and with some codec, like the DIVX one, the audio source isn't even listened in the file properties.

I'm asking for help, i have actually paid for QuickTime pro and i'd like to having it doing what it offers.

Thanks in advance.

QuickTime PRO-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 7:49 AM

9 replies

Jun 28, 2011 2:46 AM in response to Mirabellif

No one...? 😟

At least there is some Apple customer service email? I am really in doubt and also disapponted.

Actually the Applie lied to me: the QuickTime homepage tells you that you can covert every video into iDevice compatible formats, in another it tells you that you just need to install the DivX codec in order to play .avi files, the true is that nothing actually seem to work, the videos are unplayable with quicktime and if you try to convert them the result will be only a black screen with no audio, so basically the software i paid is not able to do the things which offers.

And looks like in order to have some support from apple you need a Threasure hunt.

Jul 10, 2011 3:47 PM in response to Mirabellif

Ok, i guess i just wasted 30€...

AVI is a file container—not a compression format. The normal work flow is to determine what codecs were used to create your source AVI files and to then install those QT audio and/or video codecs if available. For instance, QT does not support AC3 audio natively. If your files have AC3 audio, unsupported MPEG1 layer 3 audio (I assume this is what you are referring to by MPEG3), "muxed" audio/video content, then you might be better off trying the free Windows version of MPEG Streamclip here. It accesses the QT components that are used by the QT player but also provides its own AC3 and support for multiplexed A/V content when converting it to common QT compression formats—including those used by itunes and mobile devices.

Also be advised that MOV files are generic in nature and can hold any valid A/V compressed data that is compatible with your system's current component configuration. This does not mean that all MOV files will be playback compatible with mobile devices. (I.e., it is the compression formats contained in the file container that make files compatible or incompatible with your iPad or iPhone.)

As to wasting your money, that depends on what you plan to do when editing files. MPEG Streamclip is great when working with working with AC3, muxed content, performing physical crops, and such, but it does not handle layering, masking, blending, scaling/offsetting video by individual track, or similar editing operations which QT 7 Pro can do. If you imaginative, my recommendation would be to hold on to the QT 7 Pro and use it for the things that only it can do. Also keep MPEG Streamclip (free) installed to handle the things it can do that QT 7 Pro can't. And, of course, there will be many things that either can do equally well.

User uploaded file

Sep 17, 2011 3:52 PM in response to Jon Walker

I have the Windows version of MPEG Streamclip ... also the windows media classic player and virtual dub ... went and bought the Core AVC (something like that) codec .. only $12.95 ... then also the DivX .... and I think another ...

anyway the Quicktime does finally open the *.avi file but it is completely white. In another player the file was not white. I thought I could go into movie properties and fiddle with the layers and come up with the layer of the movie but I could not .. any suggestions?

I will go to the MPClassic site of the K-Lite codecs and see what they say ... I have also the MPEG 2 codec from QuickTime but that is for DVD playing isn't it? Any other codecs you think might help would be great. Oh .. that's right .. I can run some program on the clip and find out what codec it is using and then come back and figure out why it is playing only white.

Oct 17, 2011 9:02 AM in response to Mirabellif

I'm having similar issues. I did exactly the same & bought QT-Pro 7 to be able to easily convert my AVI's into MOV's or beter still. "referenced" MOV's (not the full, lengthy conversion process) so that my ATV and iPad etc can playback. It *used* to work prior to V7.n, as I've had it all working in the past. Now I've a new PC and it doesnt want to play ball.

The AVI's in question are XviD - Mirabellif, if you press CTRL&i when you've opened the movie, it should show you the format of AVI you're trying to play. I've downloaded the XviD codecs from here and it (always) works fine in Media Center or Media Player, just not QT-Pro. It's a shoddy state of affairs that this no longer works!

I also downloaded the DiVX stuff (which is supposed to cover XviD also) but nothing happening in QT-Pro

TBH I'm a bit fed up of having the same old "try this software instead" That's like responding to "my car wont start" with; "you have to try another car" Apple, you TOLD me this would work for me, I bought it, but it doesnt and now I'm left with a solution that doesnt do what it says!!

I use WonderShareconversion software (I've also used tons of freeware variants ) costs about $40 iirc, which does the job, but is a little slow. Gets around the issue but again, it's a "try another car" approach, which is wrong!

Oct 18, 2011 10:06 AM in response to britcay

Thanks for the Wonder Share link ... I should have links for the codecs I have gotten .. though they do not shed a whole lot more EASE on to the situation. John Lockwood (London, UK) (how do I link to another post .. do I link the name or the place where it say "Reply" - ah it is just a java link the "Reply" button so here is his post hopefully.

https://discussions.apple.com/profile/John%20Lockwood

He has a link to a telestream.net flip4mac *.wmv codec that is free for Windows and I guess one that costs something but that does MORE (perhaps *.avi) for the mac.

I wrote that I thought (which I realize now was stupid .. there are probably many more codecs)

"I think I have bought every single codec that can be applied to Windows XP SP3 and have the QuickTime Pro version. That is just "codecs" - not a full software package. But I bought the QuickTime MPEG2 codec (I think it may have gone thru version changes), then I bought the DivX and the CoreAVC Pro Edition Codec that was supposed to work well with QuickTime ...

Then I installed the KLite codec package AND the MPEG StreamClip for WinXP and finally also VirtualDub and I think even some more ... (well obviously the Media Player Classic comes in the KLite) and EVEN the Windows Media Encoder ... ugh ... and I still have trouble trying to convert one file to another. "

Well thank you again for the Wonder Share ... is it good. Better than the MPEG StreamClip ... ? Course I do not know how to use any of these programs extensively ... except for the QuickTime Pro .. which is the best, of course. And Windows Media Player comes with very little editing potential so I wonder so often why I bother with it.

Playing .AVI files in Quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.