Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing and exporting DV iMovie 11

Hello,

I've recently shot a wedding on a Sony Z1 and V1 and am in the process of putting it together. I imported one of the tapes into iMovie and put together a short sequence before exporting it to see the results. I shot on DVCAM (Not HDV) but the output from iMovie 11 is vastly inferior to what I need.

My questions are these:

1. Is it possible to import raw dv footage from my HDV camera into iMovie.

2. Once edited is it possible to export the sequence so that it is standard DV quality and interlaced (I do not need progressive footage as this degrades the quality of the footage as it is since I shot in 50i).

If none of these are possible:

1. Are there any previous versions of iMovie that are capable of this.

2. Is there any other software out there that will let me import raw DV footage onto my Macbook?

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 7:54 AM

2 replies

Jun 26, 2011 10:10 AM in response to jamesfromoxford

Are there any previous versions of iMovie that are capable of this.

Yes, iMovie 06.

The difference is the single field processing used by iMovie 08-11 (for faster editing) and the fact that it throws out every other horizontal line.

Your workflow is editing DV clips and making DVDs, iMovie '06 is better suited. Your movie will arrive at iDVD in DV format, which is an ideal match for making a DVD: same resolution, same pixels, aspect ratio, and original quality.

iMovie 06 and iDVD 09/11 is a 100% "lossless" combination and my DVD's look like they came from Hollywood!

Fortunately, iMovie 06 is available on a physical disk, (part of iLife 06) and available on Amazon and eBay.

Jun 26, 2011 10:20 AM in response to Ziatron

Thank you ZIatron. I will try and grab myself a copy of iMovie 06 as soon as I can.

It annoys me that Apple cannot give you the option to have your footage interlaced. I know 'the film look' is what most filmmakers are looking for, but when you need footage that is high in picture quality then iMovie 11 is not the answer.

I'm assuming iMovie 06 asks what you wish to output on, Interlaced or Progressive?

Importing and exporting DV iMovie 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.