8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2011 5:15 PM by LarryHN
John Holland1 Level 1 Level 1

I know this is not a forum for Image Capture, but there is no dedicated forum for it, and I figure there are smarter people here with regards to images.

Image Capture is scanning ~some~ detected images solid black. It presents an overview scan just fine, but than the final files are black.

Here is a screen capture:

Screen shot 2011-06-26 at 10.41.06 AM.png

imac, Mac OS X (10.3.x)
Solved by LarryHN on Jun 26, 2011 2:06 PM Solved

John Holland1 wrote:

Black and White... Thousands of Grays.

Is that what you mean?

Yes - use sRGB for your scan color profile - not a gray scale or B&W profile

LN

• LarryHN Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

What color profile are you using - if you are not use sRGB

LN

• John Holland1 Level 1 Level 1

Is that what you mean?

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

iPhoto earlier than iPhoto 9 (11) does not support Grayscale because it adds  a color profile name Dot Gain 20%.  This profile is not compatible with iPhoto.  You can either rescan those photos as color photos or change the profile to sRGB or RGB. 

I've created an Automator workflow application, Convert to JPG and Embed sRGB profile, that will convert B/W files to a jpg file with the sRGB profile.  However, is doing so it adds an additional jpeg compression level to the file resulting is a smaller file size but not a smaller image size. You can download it from Toad's Cellar.

The conversion will have to be done on the photos outside of iPhoto before they are imported.  So you will have to export the original files to a folder on the Desktop, run the application on them and then reimport the new files.

OT

expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

John Holland1 wrote:

Is that what you mean?

Yes - use sRGB for your scan color profile - not a gray scale or B&W profile

LN

hi, guys-

thanks so much! really, i appreciate your generosity. a few questions:

1. why are some of the b & w images scanning, and not others?

2. if i scan it as a color photo, it makes it larger, and it sometimes adds a tint or picks up color variations. q: how do i convert an image to b & w after scanning it as color?

thank you very much for your help!

expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

in iPhoto one of the effects is B&W

LN

LarryHN wrote:

in iPhoto one of the effects is B&W

LN

Wow, that seems wasteful. Why wouldn't image capture take these B&W images. What do Photoshop users do to scan greyscale images?

expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Why - no one here knows "why" anything - we are just users like you

as to scanning - again no idea - the answers here pertain to iPhoto and it is designed for digital cameras and only supports RGB images - you might look into the software that came with your scanner

LN