Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X compared to FCE4, any thoughts?

I have been using FCE4 for a while, but now I see Final Cut Pro X has been intrioduced. Is it similar to FCE, and a natural upgrade, or is it different in what it can do? Has anyone had a chance to compare them yet please? Thanks, Keith

iMac desktop, Mac OS X (10.6.4), still learning FCE

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 12:57 PM

There are lots of posts on these boards about FCP X .... some favorable, some negative. If it is for you will depend on what you primarily do with and what workflows you use.

FCP X is a completely new development and radically different from both FCE and FCP. If you decide to switch you will have to re-learn a lot of things. Also, you will not be able to open FCE projects to continue working on them.

mish

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2011 12:57 PM in response to Keith Worsley-Brown

There are lots of posts on these boards about FCP X .... some favorable, some negative. If it is for you will depend on what you primarily do with and what workflows you use.

FCP X is a completely new development and radically different from both FCE and FCP. If you decide to switch you will have to re-learn a lot of things. Also, you will not be able to open FCE projects to continue working on them.

mish

Jun 30, 2011 8:44 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom, when you say "the curent OS" do you mean Lion? So, maybe in a year or so you foresee that FCE will not be supported? Would it still work on my present computer? What about a new computer, which I am considering?

I guess my concern is not so much with having to upgrade or move to something new like FCPX, but whether I could still access old projects in FCE4 and, if necessary, go back into earlier sequences and do further editing on them.

How do you see the next 2 to 3 years - would it be best to switch to FCPX, learn it, and leave behind FCE now? I'd appreciate your thoughts please, if you have a moment. Thanks, Keith

Jul 1, 2011 1:14 AM in response to Keith Worsley-Brown

when you say "the curent OS" do you mean Lion?

The current OS is 10.6 Snow Leopard. The next OS is 10.7 Lion.

So, maybe in a year or so you foresee that FCE will not be supported?

The upgrade cycle of the OS is lengthening as it matures. I doubt very much that 10.8 (or whatever it will be called) will turn up within a year after the launch of 10.7

The longer an app goes without an update the chances that it will not run on a new OS increses. But there is no certainty that FCE will not run on 10.8 or 10.9 or 11. Just it becomes more likely.

For the next approx two years - which will be the lifetime of 10.7 - FCE will run. There is no certainty beyond that.

But it will not be updated.

Regards

TD

Final Cut Pro X compared to FCE4, any thoughts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.