Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to FCPX

IMHO Apple should stop this insanity with FCPX. They should offer all registered FCP owners a free upgrade to FCPX. Its insane to sell this barely stable version for $299. and expect us to beta test it. Also not including Motion and Compressor with it is crazy. Stop the bad press and do the right thing Apple.

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 1:00 PM

4 replies

Jun 26, 2011 1:37 PM in response to Beachwood Productions

I love Apple, but as a lifelong Apple user, I can clearly see a trend away from providing the needs of the professional market and focusing more squarely on the larger consumer market.

The X-Raid is gone. The X-Server is gone. Apple Computer is now Apple.

Apple created Bootcamp and facilitates running Windows on their hardware.

The iPhone, the iPad, the AppleTV, TimeMachine, the MacAppStore, the AppStore, iOS....

The MacBook Pro's come with inferior integrated graphics!

At each passing OS upgrade, the walls are reaching ever so higher, the restrictions are getting tighter.

Apple doesn't want us or like us professionals, we have too many demands and needs, they just want to focus on selling a small set of hardware, built the least expensive way possible for the most price possible to the most people possible.

It's greed plain and simple.

Who charges $29 for a USB power adapter?, or $435 to upgrade a MacBookPro RAM from 4GB to 8GB when it's only $80 at Crucial.com? Who places a proprietary software on all new iMac's where the machine won't run without it so the user or a third party company can't replace the hard drive?

Who charges $600 plus tax to replace a MacBook Pro hard drive with a cheap $100 Seagate/Maxor drive?

Who, at every possible turn, try's to seal up their hardware so a user or a profesisoanl can't replace or access their vital or private data on their storage, or be able to replace the battery?

A "luxury retailer" that's who Apple is now. Like Channel or Gucci.

Apple's solutions are luxury consumer solutions. Not enterprise, business or professional.

They may say they are, but actually they don't move in that direction at all. Their focus is purely consumer. Phil Schiller has even said that 50% of the market is consumer and that's what they focus on.

FCPX was dumbed down so "Pro-sumers" can use it. And it's likely going to get simpler the next time around with less features because "Consumers" make up most of Apple's target market, so the simpler it is, the more people will buy it and the more PROFIT Apple makes.

Bootcamp is there, install Windows and get ready to jump ship, because the "Pro's" being pushed overboard.

You would think, if Apple wanted to serve the "Pro" video market better, that they would sit down and talk with them and make sure their needs are met in the next version of software right?

But apprantly they didn't, or else the screaming wouldn't be nearly as loud. So apprantly they are not paying attention, don't want to pay attention.

Jun 26, 2011 1:43 PM in response to ds store

And in my humble opinion (as a user who's loved FCP and relied on it for the bulk of my income for over five years) the only thing Apple has done wrong is not charge nearly enough for FCPX.

If the price had been closer to 3k, there wouldn't have been the hysterical reaction there has from those who have not taken the time to find out about the application.

Yes, the defaults are Mickey Mouse, but the application has enormous scope for customisation and creativity.

I simply cannot wait to learn more about it.

Apple Final Cut Pro X is a SENSATIONAL step forward in video editing. It's just DIFFERENT (and takes some getting used to).

Upgrading to FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.