Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

energy saver won't work in OSX 10.4.11

I have a Dual 2 Ghz PowerPC G5.

Energy Saver crashes every time I try to access it in System Preferences even after reinstalling OSX.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 2:01 PM

Hello, try this...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these files to the Desktop.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

(Then Trash the original of these last two, as "moving" them only copies them.)

Then reboot once more.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2011 2:01 PM in response to bluewater96712

Hello, try this...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these files to the Desktop.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

(Then Trash the original of these last two, as "moving" them only copies them.)

Then reboot once more.

Jun 27, 2011 9:16 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your help! Yes, I did look at the Library folder at the root of the Disk.

There is a SystemConfiguration folder in there but it only has-

file:///Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.pl ist

file:///Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

file:///Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Any more ideas?

thanks again

Jun 28, 2011 9:21 AM in response to bluewater96712

Hmmm, getting stranger all the time, If all the above fails, then it appears to be time for a relatively painless Archive & Install, which gives you a new/old OS, but can preserve all your files, pics, music, settings, etc., as long as you have plenty of free disk space and no Disk corruption, and is relatively quick & painless...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

Just be sure to select Preserve Users & Settings.

Jul 26, 2011 11:53 PM in response to BDAqua

I was just about to do the archive and install- I understand that it moves "previous systems" folder and it appears to save some applications.

Q: are all applications up and running after the archive and install or do I have to reinstall them?

I use the full gamut of video/media programs i.e.- final cut, after effects, photoshop, etc.

Thanks

energy saver won't work in OSX 10.4.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.