Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 update ate all my sent mail!

Never happened in all my years on Mac: The update to 10.6.8 disappeared the contents of all Sent Mail Messages folders. Why and how would it do such a thing?

All POP mail accounts, three GMail and one Comcast. Wondering if making IMAP accounts will bring them back ... but really, Apple, ***? I prepare for updates, keep a clean, updated machine—MacBook Pro 17"—repair permissions after updates ...

Thanks for any clues/advice,

Connie

MacBook Pro 17"+ 15", Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPhone 3GS 4.2.1

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 4:55 PM

11 replies

Jun 28, 2011 1:06 AM in response to Csound1

In fact, this did not help. The mail was gone from the mailboxes folders.

Eventually, although I had a backup a few days old, what I did was to, in essence, re-download the mail by temporarily changing the Gmail accounts into IMAP, filing what I wanted to keep, and turning POP back on.

This did mean marking several pages on Gmail as Unread and selecting Move to Inbox. A bit of trouble—what I am concerned about is that nothing but updating to 10.6.8 via Software Update and the required Restart deleted all but the day's mail. First time I have ever, in many years, been sorry I updated.

Connie

Jun 28, 2011 10:55 PM in response to humorzo

Same problem as humorzo. My inbox consists of 10 different email accounts, including MobileMe, Gmail, other IMAP and POP based accounts. NEVER had any issues with Mail or OS upgrades until 10.6.8. Literally did two hours of email composing and sending off, only to realize that NOT one left the building and there is NO record in the DRAFT, OUTBOX or SENT Mail folders of any of the emails I sent. As humorzo very aptly states - 10.6.8 with Mail ATE all my sent mail.

I tried rebuilding mail boxes. It has now otoally screwed up my SENT MAIL - more missing than before rebuilding, dates screwed up.

NOT Happy - deleted mail prefs file (after copying original to a safe spot). That didn't help - so reinstated original mail prefs file.

Checked DIsk Utility. Drive is fine - repaired disk permissions. All to no avail.

Apple - you have a problem here - please work this out ASAP.

Jun 29, 2011 10:38 AM in response to humorzo

Same problem folks, this 10.6.8 update screwed everything up!! Lost all my 'Sent MailBox".

Thousand of e-mails lost in few seconds and no way to restore them.

How could apple didn't pay any attention to such a thing when releasing the update???

Please do provide some patch or back-up tool to set things back. It's critical very critical, especially when it comes to business matters.

Hicham

10.6.8 update ate all my sent mail!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.