7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2011 10:30 AM by Gary Markovich
Gary Markovich Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I'm hoping the community can help me with a decision.

I am not a professional editor.  I consider myself a serious hobbyist, creating multi-cam “event videography” or documentary videography (as opposed to fictional narrative/story-telling type of movie making).

I was very excited when I watched the NAB video demonstrating FCP X, and was anxious to purchase it when it was released, hoping I would get affordable access to simplified color correction and the ability to view multi-camera shots (I assumed, since it had been a part of FCS).

I have read many postings about FCP X, many of which focused on complaints about this new version. Two things that sent up red flags for me:

1. FCP X does not allow the user to     set the scratch disc. Does this limitation have something to do with     how the program utilizes the 64-bit/multi-core features of the newer     Macs?

2. There is no multi-cam view     editing (at least nothing that I can't do now with FCE).

Several posts have suggested  that Apple has assured users that the multi-cam editing feature will be included in future upgrades/versions, although I've personally been unable to find anything about this provided directly from the Apple web site.

I'm very familiar, (although by no means an expert) with FCE.  I am not at all familiar with iMovie.

In your opinion, should I purchase FCPX and start learning it, with whatever shortcomings exist (and with crossed fingers that multi-cam will be added in the future)

start using iMovie to help familiarize myself with that software's “architecture”--if that's the correct use of the term—in anticipation of the “new and improved FCP X” due sometime in the future (and in the meantime, spend my money on a Blu-ray burner or another external hard drive)?

Thanks for your time and input.

• fearless Level 6 Level 6 (9,520 points)

Buy it, learn it, it may be just what you need and its limitations won't matter for what you're doing. The UI really is very nice. If Final Cut Express was enough, FCP X should do the trick. By the time you need the "missing" features, they may well be there.

• MichaelBeck Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I totally agree. I really do think that multi-cam is coming, and coming from fce, it totally make sense to move to FCP X.

• Robbosaur Level 5 Level 5 (5,445 points)

I'm not sure this will help you.

I have never used fce, I have never used iMovie. I opened iMovie for the first time ever about 6 months ago - too weird and closed it after about 15 mins.

I have used fcp since 1.5 and am familiar/comfortble/profficient with it. I used to be full-time in video editing/camera/production but not all that busy in that area for a couple of years.

I am not going to install fcpx 'til it's fixed or at least until there's a clear sign that Apple are going to reinstate the missing features from Fcp 7. Heck why bother to learn it if they don't reinstate them - it'll become some ******* child of the editing world. No use in a production environment.

AAPL look like they're trying to reinvent the wheel with this release - and reposition the product altogether.

I'll wait until it becomes clear - because I can. Other users will not want to wait and have to move to whatever tool works for them in their workflow.

It may be perfect for you.

• alwaysforever Level 1 Level 1 (75 points)

It is difficult to count on future releases of any program meeting expectations, and the way that Apple has been managing this release may be one indication of intent to abandon the true "pro" market altogether. Treat your work well, regardless of hobbyist or prosumer status. You never know where it will take you. Adobe Premiere is pretty good, and even Premiere Elements can be a cost effective introduction to an application that really does promise pro features. Even better, though... this might be a good time for users to familiarize themselves with Avid, if they can afford it. It's industry standard pro.

• Jon Chappell Level 5 Level 5 (4,005 points)

I don't think it's a good idea to spend money on the assumption that necessary features will eventually be added, especially when that assumption is based on rumor. It's better to purchase it when it actually meets your needs.

P.S. You can change the scratch disk when you create an event or use the File > Move Event command to change the location of an existing one.

• KREMER-MEDIA.EU Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I think you should buy Premier CS5 or Avid. It seems that Apple brand is not worth of any trust. The have just shut down Final Cut Pro and replaced it with iMovie Pro. It can happen with any Apple soft now. They can just shut it down and your money would gone for ever. They don't care about users who invested in their products. They just closing the product and that's it.

So if you buy this FCPX(press) you can find out next year that the soft no longer exist and have no more support.

• Gary Markovich Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I had actually used an Avid NLE program a dozen years ago, which was part of the software bundle of my purchase of an Apple G-3 "All-In-One" (Artemis)--with RCA jack inputs!--marketed to educators.  That machine was the catalyst for my interest in editing video.

I'd been drawn to FCPRO because of the ability to do multi-cam editing; it provided a view similar to what a director would see in a "live" broadcast.  Do you know if either of the Avid or Adobe products includes this feature? 

I know there already exists a Piero plug-in that can be used with FCE which can sorta emulate this feature.