3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2011 4:49 AM by Frank Caggiano
Bill Veeser Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

I have several photos that were scanned into aperture as a set of six photos in one scan.  I now want to create individual  masters of each of the six photos from the scanned in page.  If I duplicate a version it stays connected to the original master and I can not figure out how to separate the version into separate masters.

Any suggestions. Option dragging a version to another project works but is there away to separate the photos within a project?

macbook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Aperture 3.0.3
  • paulsalter Level 2 Level 2 (465 points)

If you duplicate the version, then right click again and select split stack, this should give what you want

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,510 points)

What Paul says will work.  Just note that you are creating six Versions, each different, from the same Master.

You can pull a Version from a Version Stack by dragging it outside the Stack and still within the same Project.  A vertical green line shows you where the being-dragged Version will be placed when you drop it.

The page in the User Manual is probably too much information (click heading for link):

Working with Stacks

but there is a small sub-section

Adding Images to and Removing Images from Stacks

with detailed instructions.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- fixed link and -- maybe -- formatting.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,720 points)

While both of the previous posts will give you something that you may find useable the fundamental problem here is that you have one image that you want to divided into 6 separate images and Aperture can't do that.

I imagine that you scanned in the 6 images at one time to save time which is fine, do it all the time myself. But if you;re going to do that and you want each image to be in Aperture as its own master you need to separate them before importing into Aperture.

Most (all? scanning software has an option to handle just this situation, the ability to break the scan up into individual images. If your software doesn't  have this feature there are 3rd party solution available for little or no money. Google it.

If all that fails you could use  image editing  software after the scan but before importing, Something like Photo Shop (expensive) or The Gimp (free) will do what you want to do.

regards