Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do move referenced files back to Library?

I'm using Aperture 2.

Many moons ago I started using some referenced files, so now I have a bunch of files that are referenced (on an external drive).

Now my drive sizes are large enough that I would like to bring all of the referenced files back into the Library (if I am understanding how this works correctly).

2 questions:

- how to I move the referenced files back to make them managed files?

- I changed the name of some of the referenced files to start with "REF-". Is there a way to change the name of these files? Not a big deal if not possible.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Time Capsule

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 1:47 AM

As far as I can see Aperture 2 works the same as 3 in this respect

Select your images

Go to File -> Consolidate Masters

This will then put all referenced images back into the Aperture library

Unsure on batch renaming, I had to do similar and went through 1 by 1, a bit time consuming

8 replies

Jun 27, 2011 5:00 AM in response to aquestionortwo

For your fist question paulsalter's answer, to use File->Consolidate Masters is the right way to turn referenced masters into managed masters.

As for your second question, if your asking can I rename all images that start with REF- into something else the answer is yes. Filter on REF- and then run Metadata->Batch Change on those images.

However if the renaming you are looking to do is to remove the REF- part and leave the rest intact you won't be able to do that in stock Aperture, that would require an AppleScript.

Jun 27, 2011 9:29 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks guys-

Ffew more:

- When I consolidate my referenced masters, I believe all of those files get moved to the main Aperture Library, is that correct? (or is reference version left alone, and a copy is made and automatically brought into the Aperture Library)

- If I am going to consolidate the referenced masters and want to change the file name, do I need to do that before consolidating, or can I do that after just as easily?

- On naming...

Ideally would leave the rest intact for the file and just remove the initial "REF-" in the name.

As the files are all in a set of folders (and sub-folders), and not all have the "REF-", I suspect this is a little tricky.

If you have any good suggestions on how to learn basic AppleScript to handle something like this (without learning a new programming language!), I'm all ears (I realize very off topic).

Much appreciated-

Jun 27, 2011 10:15 AM in response to aquestionortwo

aquestionortwo wrote:

- When I consolidate my referenced masters, I believe all of those files get moved to the main Aperture Library, is that correct? (or is reference version left alone, and a copy is made and automatically brought into the Aperture Library)

You specify when you execute the action.

aquestionortwo wrote:

- If I am going to consolidate the referenced masters and want to change the file name, do I need to do that before consolidating, or can I do that after just as easily?

Makes no difference, except it is easier to group the Images which currently have Referenced Masters while they are still referenced. If you want to perform an action on those Images (including on those Image's Masters), either do so before consolidating, or tag them in some way before consolidating so you already have them grouped or group-able. (You can use a keyword, or a color label, or just put them all in an Album.)

aquestionortwo wrote:

- On naming...

Ideally would leave the rest intact for the file and just remove the initial "REF-" in the name.

As the files are all in a set of folders (and sub-folders), and not all have the "REF-", I suspect this is a little tricky.

I think you're probably best off keeping this easy -- and removing the first four characters from each Master's name while retaining the link to the Image is not easy. Would you be satisfied simply appending "Not" to each file name, and considering the admittedly inelegant "NotREF-" prefix as a left-over from going around the learning curve?

Jun 27, 2011 2:22 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks. Will have to leave the REF- as is I think...no big deal, just annoying.

To Consolidate Masters...

I thought I should make a smart folder, so it finds for the referenced files, then I can select them all, and then choose to consolidate masters.

However, when I tried to do this for the Smart Folder, there isn't the option to "Consolidate Masters" like there is for Projects. Is there some easy way to select all of the referenced files (they are spread out over folders and proejcts).

How do move referenced files back to Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.