Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the advantages of running in 64bit mode?

My 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo (Penrhyn) iMac can run in 64bit mode but as I have never altered it I assume it is presently running in 32bit.

If I switch it to 64bit will it improve the performance of FCP X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4 and in what ways?

Incidentally I have downloaded this app to switch from 32bit to 64bit.

Startup Mode Selector

Having started in 64bit will there ever be a need to start in 32bit again or will 64bit mode cope with 32bit apps as well?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), FCE 4 + FCS 3 . . . Little Knowledge, Many Opinions.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 6:41 AM

It shouldn't give you any advantage performance-wise for individual apps, as the OS can run 64-bit apps even if the kernel is still running in 32-bit mode (which is the only thing this setting controls). The reason to keep the kernel running in 32-bit mode is to allow 3rd party "kernel extensions" that are written in 32 bit mode to still work.

Mac OS X is built so that almost the entire operating system and applications can happily run in 64 bit mode even if the kernel itself is still in 32 bits. Unless you are a developer of kernel extensions, I think you should keep your system running in 32 bit mode.

FYI, the 'kernel' is a small (but very important) piece of the operating system. It acts like its own application once your system is started up, and basically takes care of low level OS-related issues. When you are running a 64-bit app, you are completely in "64 bit mode" from the application's point of view, and have all the advantages of that mode. "64 bits" vs "32 bits" basically controls an applications memory space, and how much memory it can actually use. That's why 32 bit applications can only use up to 4 GB of RAM. That's the max number you can have using 32 bits.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2011 6:41 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

It shouldn't give you any advantage performance-wise for individual apps, as the OS can run 64-bit apps even if the kernel is still running in 32-bit mode (which is the only thing this setting controls). The reason to keep the kernel running in 32-bit mode is to allow 3rd party "kernel extensions" that are written in 32 bit mode to still work.

Mac OS X is built so that almost the entire operating system and applications can happily run in 64 bit mode even if the kernel itself is still in 32 bits. Unless you are a developer of kernel extensions, I think you should keep your system running in 32 bit mode.

FYI, the 'kernel' is a small (but very important) piece of the operating system. It acts like its own application once your system is started up, and basically takes care of low level OS-related issues. When you are running a 64-bit app, you are completely in "64 bit mode" from the application's point of view, and have all the advantages of that mode. "64 bits" vs "32 bits" basically controls an applications memory space, and how much memory it can actually use. That's why 32 bit applications can only use up to 4 GB of RAM. That's the max number you can have using 32 bits.

What are the advantages of running in 64bit mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.