Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are 10.6.8 downloads failing? (unrecognised .dmg)

I've now downloaded the OS/X 10.6.8 update three times. Twice MacOSXUpd10.8.6.dmg and once MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg. All of these give the Finder error "The following disk images cannot be opened" and the Reason is "not recognized".

I'm using Google Chrome 10.0.648.127 and it has managed lots of other downloads with no problems. My other .dmg files seem to be working OK.

Some people say that 10.6.8 is dangerous, so this might be a good thing, but I'm concerned that my .dmg files seem to be corrupt. I tried using Disk Utility to fix them, but it also says 'unrecognized'.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 4:33 AM

While not the same messages, exactly, another poster found that resetting his modem fixed the problem of corrupted downloads. Can't tell you why, but it's an easy fix, usually.

7 replies

Jun 27, 2011 5:22 AM in response to Fustbariclation

What kind of internet connection do you have?

If you answer no to any of the following questions, please remedy before attempting anything further. If you don't know how, ask:
If using WiFi, is it a closed network?
Is your data backed up at least twice to two external and separate mediums?
Is the only thing connected to your Mac your Apple wired keyboard (if not a notebook), and Apple wired mouse (if not a notebook), and display?
Have you verified all your applications and drivers are either known to be 10.6.8 compatible, or require it?

Why are 10.6.8 downloads failing? (unrecognised .dmg)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.